Heavy tongue!

Deep V

Cadet
When I bought my '01 16 ft. Alumnacraft I suspect that the dealer paired it up with the wrong trailer.I think it's because I ordered it with a 40hp rather than the 25hp that they put in their package.After the first season, I had to replace the springs and beef them up.Now,after years of towing it ,the main leaf on my jeep are flattened-out.I think the tongue is to heavy.Can I move the axle forward on an Easy Loader,if so,how do I know how far?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Heavy tongue!

That doesn't sound like a very heavy rig. Maybe 1,000-1,500#.

You need to weigh it. Once you know what it weighs you want 10% of the rig weight on the tongue. That is easy enough to find with a bathroom scale.

Assuming that the boat is correctly placed on the trailer (full support of the transom) moving the axle cradle is the correct way to adjust tongue weight.

Two things bug me about your situation:

1. Why did you "have to" replace the springs after only one season. Bad, bad sign. With only a 16' tinny aboard it sounds like a pretty flimsy trailer.

2. What model Jeep are you towing with? Jeeps are notorious for having weak rear suspension and needing extra load handling added for even light loads.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

When I bought my '01 16 ft. Alumnacraft I suspect that the dealer paired it up with the wrong trailer.I think it's because I ordered it with a 40hp rather than the 25hp that they put in their package.After the first season, I had to replace the springs and beef them up.Now,after years of towing it ,the main leaf on my jeep are flattened-out.I think the tongue is to heavy.Can I move the axle forward on an Easy Loader,if so,how do I know how far?

Before you do anything you need to find out just what the tongue weight is now. Get the bathroom scales out and check what you have with your boat loaded as you usually do for towing and the hitch at the same height you tow at. A few photos of your outfit would help as well.
Post back your results for all to review.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I would think that if it was the wrong trailer, the 40hp would make it tongue light. In any event I don't see why you couldn't move the axle. The biggest head ache would be getting the right weight distribution. If you got them to far forward and are tail hevy that thing will fish tail allover. This may be an instance that you let a trailer builder do it. Load everything yu would normally haul in the boat (in the place you would haul it) and have them balance the trailer properly. I would try to move stuff around in the boat and change the weight before I moved an axle, Second I would put airbags on the Jeep.

Deep V

Cadet

Thanks,I'm going to attempt,If the wieght ratios work out.As for the springs;the trailer used to bounce all over the place when it was new.It eventualy broke a leaf.I added another leaf when I replaced them.It now rides super smooth .You don't even know it's back there.Maybe I just need to do the same to my Cherokee.

a70eliminator

Captain

Taking weight off the tongue will put more weight on the trailer axle, tongue weight is load transfer to the tow vehicle right? so taking weight off the tongue is not your remedy, IMHO.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

It would be the answer if he is so tongue heavy and tail light that the trailer is bouncing all over the place (and thats what broke the spring). Need to check your weight distribution and the GAWR of the trailer before you do anything and then go from there. Whatever the weight of the boat and gear is, as long as its below the GAWR, you want most of that (80-90%) over the axle.