Heat exchanger

sr79

Seaman
I recently bought a rebuilt 350 engine for my 1979 SeaRay 260. The engine was setup to run without a heat exchanger. I want to use my heat exchanger. My question is, do I need to make any modifications to the exhaust manifolds and exhaust elbows? Was told that the plate between the manifold and elbow is different for heat exchanger use. Also, I want to buy a new carburetor - any suggestions? What is the difference between the thermo-spring type chock and electronic chock as far as being interchangeable or one being better than the other.
Thanks, any suggestions and/or comments will be appreciated.....
sr79

alldodge

Staff member
I recently bought a rebuilt 350 engine for my 1979 SeaRay 260. The engine was setup to run without a heat exchanger. I want to use my heat exchanger. My question is, do I need to make any modifications to the exhaust manifolds and exhaust elbows? Was told that the plate between the manifold and elbow is different for heat exchanger use. Also, I want to buy a new carburetor - any suggestions? What is the difference between the thermo-spring type chock and electronic chock as far as being interchangeable or one being better than the other.
Thanks, any suggestions and/or comments will be appreciated.....
sr79

:welcome: to the forum

If I understand you correctly is your boat has a closed cooling system which using a heat exchanger, and you are replacing the engine with a rebuild one of the same size. If this is a correct assumption then no modifications should be needed. Just remove the stuff off your current engine and install it on the new one.

Now if this is not just a long block rebuild and maybe more of a complete engine with intake and exhaust manifolds and other stuff, please advise.

Bondo

Staff member
:welcome: to the forum

If I understand you correctly is your boat has a closed cooling system which using a heat exchanger, and you are replacing the engine with a rebuild one of the same size. If this is a correct assumption then no modifications should be needed. Just remove the stuff off your current engine and install it on the new one.

Now if this is not just a long block rebuild and maybe more of a complete engine with intake and exhaust manifolds and other stuff, please advise.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... Use All the accessories off the take-out motor, for the new motor,......

If an accessory is exactly the same 'tween the motors, use the best piece on yer's,....

The Edlebrock 1409 carb works well on yer motor,......

sr79

Seaman
~~• Your assumption is correct I do have a closed cooling system. My new "rebuilt" engine came complete with intake and exhaust manifolds, starter, alternator and etc. installed with new hoses and ready to drop-in and fire. I know for sure that the hoses "piping" will need to be reconfigured in order to accommodate installing my heat exchanger which will convert the system to a closed cooling system. I will have no problem duplicating my original closed system externally but, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything internally. Also, thanks for carburetor information.....

sr79

Seaman
~~• Your assumption is correct I do have a closed cooling system. My new "rebuilt" engine came complete with intake and exhaust manifolds, starter, alternator and etc. installed with new hoses and ready to drop-in and fire. I know for sure that the hoses "piping" will need to be reconfigured in order to accommodate installing my heat exchanger which will convert the system to a closed cooling system. I will have no problem duplicating my original closed system externally but, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything internally. Also, thanks for carburetor information.....

sr79

Seaman