Heat exchanger - which engine do I have?

alan-bc

Cadet
So, I've just bought an older boat with a Volvo Penta 4.3 GL engine, 2000-2001 .. or so the survey says.

The survey also recommends the addition of a heat exchanger, and I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of salt water running through my engine's block, so adding a heat exchanger sounds like a good idea to me. Plus, I'm pretty handy, so I should be able to do the job.

But what motor .. exactly .. do I have? Apparently, I need to know, because there seems to be different kits for different years of 4.3 GL. Worse, the kits seem to stop at 1999, and my survey says 2000/2001.

There IS a plate with a serial number on it; is that useful?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Alan

maine4winns

Cadet
OMC -
OMC I/O engines require the model number of the engine. The model identification plate can be found on the engine valve cover. The model number usually starts with 3 numbers followed by a sequence of letters. Once you have the model number go to CrowleyMarine.com and lookup your model.

For looking up OMC sterndrive parts, the identification plate is located on the port side of the sterndrive just above the cavitation plate.

I have included where you can find the transom mount number and serial number (link from Crowley Marine)https://www.crowleymarine.com/d/tech_article/locating-omc-model-numbers#:~:text=The transom mount model and,on the inner transom plate.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your motor was ever run in salt, the damage is done. Adding a heat exchanger may slow the corrosion, however the rust will plug the heat exchangers.

My suggestion. Run the boat until you need a new motor. Then add a HX at that time