heartwarming initiative in New Orleans

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class
Saw this on Tv last night, a whole parade of boatowners with boat on trailer behind their trucks volontering to help out. For the rest the news is as lopsided here as it is in the US.... when in Holland a dike bursts (no pun) we see for a week long how 5 people got wet feet and how 3 homes had to be cleaned afterwards. Scanty news from New Orleans and surroundings and only the bad news. Thankfully they make a mistakes now and then and you can see a flock of helicopters passing in the background for the whole 5 minutes that the item takes(reporters glory...amidst the aftermath of horror, no water, no food, simpleton has to drive back 100 miles for that...poor soul). What hit me (and my wife) as very cinical....when we have a flooding here , however small, we see the coverage from the US and all people are dismayed and feeling for the people in trouble. Our newscoverage makes me ashamed I must say: luckily the man in the street here in Holland has nothing to do with the media and can form his own opinion. All people I talked to about Katrina's horror felt bad about it and feel for the people who fell victim.<br />Frank

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: heartwarming initiative in New Orleans

Convoy of military vehicles packed with supplies moves into flooded streets of New Orleans.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Well said Frank: I am absolutely disgusted by the way the media in the UK are playing out the "grim" and "sensationalist" side of the horror of what happened in New Orleans and the surrounding area.<br />I also noticed that our politicians have been extremely quiet about it too? <br />The so-called "special relationship" that we are supposed to have with the US and I haven't yet seen or heard of any help or assistance being sent or even any appeals being made for donations?<br /><br />The daftest thing was ten minutes spent on breakfast tv interviewing two nobodys who had a relative on holiday in the area (they were both ok). It made me really angry because that airtime could have been better spent harassing our goverment into doing something to help :mad:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Thank you for your concerns. As seen on other threads here Americans and Corporate America are beginning to dig in and dig deep in this time of need. America will overcome this disaster as we have so many in the past. As for help from out side countries or parties I am sure it would be welcomed, but if it never materializes rest assured when your countries are affected by this kind of carnage the USA will be there to help...........that’s what we do.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Lt: it is just that we feel kinda helpless here: sending emails to a few people higher up the food chain to get them off their backsides is about all we can do, apart from donate some cash to American Red Cross.<br /><br />I hate feeling useless :mad: <br /><br />I got family in the States but luckily not in the affected area. <br /><br />I hope things get better for you guys real soon.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep Bro, had some here too who went on holiday and had the means to get out in time unlike a lot of others over there. A couple went to New Orleans on Saturday and all of us are supposed to rejoice because yesterday they were on a bus out of the dangerzone. Shouldn't have been there in the first place.....kinky ? In my book YES. Catastrofy-tourists is an official word in the dictionary here....figures. Will probably sue the travel-organisation for 'damages' as well. My compassion is for those who stayed behind nilly-willy and are forced to look for basic needs to survive....looters against their will!<br />Frank