Heard on BBC!

aspeck

Staff member
I could not believe my ears the other day - usually the BBC seems to go out of their way to report the negative of the US - but the man in charge of the BBC to the Arab world was on. What he said was interesting in response to the prison torture and the Iraq conflict.<br /><br />He said he most of the Arab world will send negative emails concerning the US and what is going on in Iraq, but he emails coming from Iraq are different. They are glad the US is there for a time, the "tortures" are much less than what they faced at teh hands of Saddam, and if they must put up with a US occupation for a while, it is worth it to get Saddam out of power and let them live free lives.<br /><br />Sounds like a lot of the population of Iraq are glad we are there - and that is from the BBC! (Britian's CNN)

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Heard on BBC!

Quote: "They are glad the US is there for a time, the "tortures" are much less than what they faced at teh hands of Saddam, and if they must put up with a US occupation for a while, it is worth it to get Saddam out of power and let them live free lives."<br /><br />FWIW thats how (for the most part) its percieved by muslim/iraqi commentators here also.<br /><br />Aldo

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In the UK there have been many poles of regular Iraqis and they all say that they want the troops there and things are better already than they were. There main concern is that we will leave before the country is stable, the terrorist know that if they can keep killing US soldiers it is likely US will pull out quickly past history has reflected this.<br /><br />Finally the abuse of prisoners that I saw , did very little to gain information and had more to do with sadistic personal behaviour. The damage that this has done on the ground has put lives at risk and if nothing else this is why the people should be punished.

aspeck

Staff member

Other interesting quotes on the Iraq war:<br /><br />An open letter to some political partisans, especially certain politicians and people in the media: "I have a son who is an American soldier in Iraq... I am not fooled, when you partisans spew propaganda that helps our enemies and harms our soldiers, then tell us you support our troops. I am not fooled, when you focus on, highlight, and exaggerate the negative things that happen in Iraq, while ignoring our positive accomplishments, then tell us you support our troops. I am not fooled, when you focus attention on American soldiers killed and wounded in Iraq, to use these brave patriots as an anti-Iraq-war political football, then tell us you support our troops. I am not fooled, when you keep criticizing why and how we invaded Iraq -- that is done; our troops are there -- then tell us you support our troops. I am not fooled, when you engage in constant, carping criticism of what the U.S. has done and is doing in Iraq, then tell us you support our troops. I am not fooled, when you search for and trumpet to the world anything that will diminish respect for our soldiers and their leaders -- even when it endangers greatly their lives, then tell us you support our troops. I am not fooled, when you tell our soldiers and the rest of us that they are stuck in a 'quagmire' and will suffer a Vietnam-type defeat, then tell us you support our troops. I am not fooled, when you spout propaganda that undermines the morale of our soldiers and the American public and boosts the morale of our enemies, then tell us you support our troops. You are giving aid and comfort to our nation's deadly enemies! They know they cannot defeat us militarily in Iraq. However, you cause them to think they can win here politically by breaking our will, if they kill and wound enough of our soldiers. You despicable partisans! You are stimulating our enemies to attack our soldiers and the people working with them. The blood of many Americans and Iraqis is already on your hands. And your hands collect more blood every day! You are determined to regain the political power you have lost, and you believe your presidential candidate and congressional candidates will win, if the U.S. fails in Iraq. If your anti-American propaganda contributes to the deaths of many Americans and Iraqis, that is a price you are willing to make them pay. You are pathetic and dangerous!" --Proud Father of a Decorated Army Officer serving in Iraq<br /><br /><br />"In 1986, I was taken into custody by the U.S. government in a little known facility in Warner Springs CA, subjected to beatings, public nudity, put in stressful positions, subjected to the water board, deprived of sleep and food, interrogated at all hours of the day and night, intimidated with firearms and had only a coffee can for a toilet in my 3'x3'x4' cell. What was my offense? I was a Navy fighter pilot and it was called Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape (SERE) School, a prerequisite before I could fly over hostile territory. Funny, we called it training. Imagine my surprise to learn I had been the victim of 'atrocities.' Where's the outrage from the leftist pukes in Congress over the ongoing absence of Captain Scott Speicher, the FA-18 pilot MIA from the first Gulf War?"<br /><br /><br />"I have had enough. I am the mother of an American Soldier. I watched in horror the news accounts today of an American son murdered by terrorists. I read the terrorists statement that said, 'For the Mothers and Wives of American Soldiers, you will not receive anything from us but coffins after coffins slaughtered in this way.' The Department of Defense warned CBS that airing the photos of the abuse of the Iraqi prisoners would result in endangering American Soldiers and American civilian lives in Iraq. But they did not care -- and neither do Kerry and Kennedy, who have recklessly used this story as political fodder against President Bush. They are the ones who should be apologizing to the Family of Nick Berg and the American people." <br /><br />Just some other interesting perspectives on what is happening.