H_2756_05.jpg

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Headline from the Tonight Show...

Hmmmmm.... false advertising????<br /><br />Ken

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Feasable. He could live on the body of water that the dealer he bought it from was on and kept it on a lift. But yeah, it's obviously sitting on a trailer in the photo. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

And considering that NADA has it listed at 22K as average and 18K for low retail....there is a problem!<br /><br />I sure hope that is not a current ad.<br /><br />Bob

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure how current it is. I just pulled it off the NBC site. I would assume it should have said "never been on water" :D

TilliamWe

Banned

Add is no older than 2004. That's cause it mentions the 2004 model year trailer in the add! Not to mention the picture of it clearly sitting on a trailer! he he ha ha, it's funny!

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Feasable. He could live on the body of water that the dealer he bought it from was on and kept it on a lift. But yeah, it's obviously sitting on a trailer in the photo. :D
Certainly this is one of those media things where they meant to state, "This is not an actual photo, but if it were, the boat would not be on that trailer!!"

TilliamWe

Banned

Read the add again Flat, the trailer is clearly described in the add :) <br /><br />
Certainly this is one of those media things where they meant to state, "This is not an actual photo, but if it were, the boat would not be on that trailer!!"<br />
Maybe what they meant was, "until now it's never been on a trailer" :confused:

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tell me where you can buy decent boats at NADA prices?<br />I sold one not long ago for triple the amount NADA listed, and the boat was bone stock.

TilliamWe

Banned

For my 100th post, I will say to theriver:<br /><br />Good for you on getting 3x NADA.<br /><br />To the rest of you I say: Please don't overpay for stuff!<br /><br />Best of luck!

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just to clarify, and not to imply I was gouging when I sold my boat - It was at market value. The problem is that NADA seems to use a straight line depreciation calculation that no matter whether its a Cobalt, Grady White or a Bayliner, the NADA guide reflects a relatively close percentage of the original purchase price depreciated on a monthly basis when you go to look at a NADA value. The reality is, the Bayliner probably depreciated at a higher rate than the Grady, and this also applies to many other manufacturers and models out there. The other thing NADA does a horrible job of is realizing the fact that boats hold their value very well after their initial depreciation loss (from new to a few years old they take a big hit, then they flatline or even appreciate over time).<br />My boat (granted its two and a half decades old) is worth much more today than it sold for new.