Headin' for the Coast!

Cuddy

Cadet
Taking the mandatory trip to the outlaws over the Labor Day weekend. The good news is they live in Corpus (on the Gulf) and I'm taking the boat. Other than putting some earmuffs on and flushing (how long) what should I do after I pull it from the saltwater? I've got a galvanized trailer so I should be ok there.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Headin' for the Coast!

The sooner you give your boat, engine, AND trailer a good fresh water rinse the better. A coat of fresh wax on all chrome pieces is helpful...but saltwater is very corrosive and doesn't take long to begin compromising most metals.<br /><br />Have a great trip...give "mom and dad" a big hug from me...<br /><br />Walt

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Much more care must be taken in the salt. I always flush engine for 3 minutes minimum. Rinse everything from top to bottom, don't start on trailer then rinse salt off boat. Galvanized trailer? I'll bet the springs aren't, give the raw iron extra attention. You ever seen a spring break doing about 60MPH? I'd try to grease everything including motor pivot, trailer bearings, and everywhere you have a grease fitting, you need to flush the salt water out with fresh grease. Don't forget to rinse reels, nets, anchor ropes etc. the salt water tends to make them rot quicker. When rinsing reels use low pressure water, don't want to force the salt into the reel. Have a great time, maybe I'll see you there. You fishing in the bays or the big pond?

Cuddy

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. Not sure what the plans are but definitely plan on motoring up the coast to Port A and having a round at Shorty's, and of course motoring south and having dinner at Snoopy's!

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i live where your coming to flush as soon as possible up to 2 minutes fist find a car wash with flush system for boats might save the day also if running in saltwater at al consistently change water pump once a year

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DON'T FORGET your car. RINSE, RINSE, RINSE the back wheels. Salt will kill the bearings....<br /><br />Also, I recommend flushing 5 minutes. DON'T put the water out of the hose on full stream. Turn the hose nossle just a bit, so you can see just a small amount of water coming out of the bottom of the flushing ears. <br /><br />Good luck.