head check update....

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I decided to rebuild my 9.5evinrude instead of going the higher cost route with a new motor or decking the head...i did the needed: new fuel pump, carb rebuild, water pump, ignition, and rings/gaskets... now this old '65 pops my 12ft. starcraft right up out of the water with some authority..me and my fat butt, my kid, my dog, tackle, gas, cooler, etc. keeps us on plane at around 15mph, maybe a bit more. also went with a 8x8 1/4 prop and it is doing this at 10,500 feet...kicks butt, bet i'd even go abit faster at sea level. using J8C plugs, to adjust for high altitude, even chopped up some 8.8mm plug wires off my 75 F-250 for a bit easier voltage flow...now that i have gone through this, i think i know more than i ever wanted to about this motor...thanks to all for the help that i was given on which direction i should go...my entire cost was $332.65...instead of $800-$1300 for a used 15hp same price for a 9.9hp. AWESOME!!!!<br />SAVING MONEY IS FUN!!! :D :D :D

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: head check update....

Congrats!<br />It's always more fun to "do it yourself" in my opinion. You know exactly what you've got when you're through. It's also nice to save a little money. ;) <br />Backlash

vanman250

Cadet

You don't know glade I am to hear you rebuilt your 9.5 and had good results I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 9.5 and have been back and forth on the issue of buying a new motor or doing the rebuild. What was going on with your motor before the rebuild? What shape was it in? Did you run into any problems? About how long did it take to rebuild it? <br /><br />Bill

Paul Moir

Admiral

Good to hear it alumistar! It's amazing what a good buff-out can do on one of those old engines. How's the break-in working out?<br />I have a question about your wires: since the original wires are copper core (0 ohm), some people have had trouble with using suppressor (resistance) automotive wires with that magneto system. Your not having any problems? Or does your '75 F-250 use non-suppressor wires?<br />Also, 'ow in 'ell did you get the 8.8mm wire into the 7mm coil?? :)