Head Bolt Sheared Off

Israel Hands

Cadet
In replacing a blown head gasket in the family wagon, I broke a head bolt. I was able to back it out about 3/8 inch then it sheared about 1/2 inch out from the deck. I removed the head and have 1/2 inch of 11mm (7/16") stud to work with. Some one must have been here before and done this. Please, how do I proceed? Engine block is cast iron.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Israel Hands

dolluper

Captain
Re: Head Bolt Sheared Off

Spray it with penatrating oil and with a pair of vise grips on real tight move it a bit back in then spray oil, a bit out spray oil ,keep this process up it will move further each time ,and move easier each time until it comes completely out Take your time OR if you can double nut it {have room?] put one nut on then second on top tighten top nut and use bottom to turn with same proceedor as above in and out spraying

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been told that if you heat the stud with a torch and melt parafin around it, the wax will seep into the threads. You can then just cut a slot in the stud and it should unscrew pretty easy. I have never seen it, but the guy who told me about it said it worked like magic. There are tools for this, I think they are called easy outs or something like that. Try it and let us know if it works.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I would turn it back down, with a pair of vice grips, as far as you can. Spray it with a good penetrating oil then turn it back out as far as you can. Remove the vice grips and spray it with a can of refridgerant to get it as cold as possible. Then regrip with vicegrips and try turning it out. Spray the bolt only. Do not spray it down onto the surrounding deck.<br /><br />You can buy a can of refridgerant at the local autoparts that has a hose and valve on it.

one more cast

Captain

Keep working it back and forth as said above and it will loosen and come out after a bit. run a bottom tap down the holes before inserting the new bolts so you will get a proper torque reading.

Israel Hands

Cadet

Thank-you all for your help. I tried the vice grip approach but could not get a good bite. Then I up-graded to a 14" stiltson (pipe wrench). After a now or never (to the junk yard) psychology I gave it my all. It truned in a hair and I smiled; I felt in control, the engine Gods were not against me this time. Then I switched over to the vice grip back and forth method while I kept adding kerosene (the one true penetrating oil). I will next run a bottom tap as One More Cast recommended. <br /><br />Again, thank-you.<br /><br />Israel Hands

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> I would turn it back down, with a pair of vice grips, as far as you can. Spray it with a good penetrating oil then turn it back out as far as you can. Remove the vice grips and spray it with a can of refridgerant to get it as cold as possible. Then regrip with vicegrips and try turning it out. Spray the bolt only. Do not spray it down onto the surrounding deck.<br /><br />You can buy a can of refridgerant at the local autoparts that has a hose and valve on it.
YOU ENVIROMENTAL VANDAL!!! <br /><br /><br />DON'T use refridgerant (greenhouse gas), use liquid nitrogen, much colder.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

The wax approach does work. But not everytime, just like everything else. When it works, it's effortless. And it does help, most of the time.

Mod4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Moved to non-boating technical.