HDTV help

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class
A chum of mine was over the other day and asked what the hell was that thing I called TV was…. Well it’s a 19in foreign made POS that makes everyone look like cone heads. Its about 9 yrs old, and yes it needs to be trashed and replaced. Easy enough got Gods (wifeepoo) permit ion to get a new one. Question is, does anyone have any good suggestions. I figured I could spend 800. I went to Wallyworld and looked at the hdtv’s. I asked for some help, but no one knew what hdtv was. I left from there to Fry’s electronics. If you have never been to one they are huge, have a large selection of tv’s. I asked the sales person, what was the difference between hdtv ready, and hdtv monitor, and what was avi, or what was pip. Well the guy was from India, and said he didn’t know the difference. I then asked for a different sales person, yehaw…an American…. he said he didn’t have any hdtv’s, that all were ready for hd. And took me to the 5000.00 plasma tv’s. I thanked him and left the store feeling as though old age has set in, and technology has past me way by………..<br />Now, Wallyworld has 2 hdtv’s one for 747, and 797.00. They are 36 in tv’s.<br />I want to be able to hook up that surround sound, later. <br />Also hook up DVD, and VCR, both I have.<br />Any suggestions? How about ordering one from the Internet?<br />E-bay perhaps?<br />And what is pip?<br />And should I just get a regular tv. Is this hdtv stuff worth it?<br />I cant afford the plasma tv……and with my luck it would leak all over the place.

bubbakat

Captain
Re: HDTV help

I have hdtv from wally world 36 inch That is high definition tv very clear picture and the pip is picture in a picture.<br />Gives you a little screen in your big screen so you can watch two things at once.

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

bub, did you have to get a reciever to get the hd signal? Does it come in the tv? Now I have figured that when they say hd ready, they meen I have to get a receiver, from the cable guy?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Considering there is not very much programming right now that has HDTV, I would just buy a TV that is HDTV ready, and get the reciever down the road. They have a Phillips down at Wal-Mart for under $800 that looks like it would get it done. Don't be fooled by all the plasma hype. The best picture is still the good 'ol CRT television (like the one you have). Projection, rear projection, LCD, Plasma, they all have deficient pictures in comparison to a well made HDTV CRT television. Plasma does not achieve pure black, but is getting better. LCD blurs moving objects, but is getting better. Rear projection just sucks, regardless of price unless you just love having to sit in one spot. I am just waiting for my 35 incher to die, then I'll buy an HDTV ready CRT television...<br /><br />The wally TVs require seperate recievers for HDTV, but are otherwise decent sets. All a plasma TV is is a panel of seperate plasma filled tubes for each color pixel. An electrical signal excites the plasma in the tube, causing it to light up. A CRT television is one big tube with all the color pixels (red green blue) on its surface. An electron beam is guided over each pixel by the magnetic yoke, and its intensity is timed for each pixel. The different degrees of brighness of the red green blue pixels gives you your picture. Just look real close at the TV, you'll see what I mean. The plasma screen does the same thing, it just has all those little colored blocks with their own tiny plasma filled tubes. Thats what makes them expensive, and why they are thin and flat. So no, nothing will leak out and kill you in your sleep. Yet.

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks u guys, I think I'm makeing a big deal outta nothing. I did see the Phillips, I guess what bothers me most is not getting any help with questions befor buying.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think this goes in non-boating technical.