HDPE Platform Paint

jcminnesota

Cadet
HI....I have Garelick boarding platform that is HDPE material (plastic of some sort). Its white. I want to paint it the color of my boat....and not have the paint peel off immediately. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: HDPE Platform Paint

You could try Krylon Fusion. It's specifically for plastic.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The main selling point to HDPE is that nothing sticks to it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep... I'm sorry to say, you are stuck with the natural color... you COULD screw a trim (painted aluminum maybe) of another color to it to tie it in to your paint scheme tho.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you do a google search you will find lots of folks who tried and failed to paint hdpe... INCLUDING those that tried krylon fusion.... If you don't believe it test on a milk jug... it's made from hdpe.... the paint will chip very easily and flake off making your platform look awful.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

if you do a google search you will find lots of folks who tried and failed to paint hdpe... INCLUDING those that tried krylon fusion.... If you don't believe it test on a milk jug... it's made from hdpe.... the paint will chip very easily and flake off making your platform look awful.

If you do a google search on anything, you can find dissatisfied customers for everything!

Most are due to operator error.

Bondo

Staff member

If you do a google search on anything, you can find dissatisfied customers for everything!

Most are due to operator error.

Ayuh,.... So how many milk jugs have You successfully painted,..??

I agree with the others,... It ain't gonna happen... it'll be nearly paintless by end of season...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,.... So how many milk jugs have You successfully painted,..??

Couple thousand I reckon, thinkin' 'bout changin' my handle to jignjug;)

Who in the heck would want to paint a flimsy milk jug??? ... and I'm pretty sure there's quite a difference 'tween a milk jug and that swim platform.

Painted the plastic/vinyl dash speaker covers on my '94 Chevy truck with that stuff over a year and a half ago and they still look good.
DSC02377_zpsa0bb548c.jpg

The truck sits out in the sun all day every day.

I also paint plastic crankbaits with it and it lasts longer than the original paint they put on at the factory.

The product has worked well for me, but I'm sure some people have problems with it because they don't prep for the paint right.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use Plastic Fusion to paint the screens on our houseboat. The screens were nearly 10 years old, and the west-facing screens were nearly dust when we bought the boat in 2006. They look better today than when we bought it. Plastic Fusion is great stuff..

2006, the day we checked it out--

screens2006.jpg

last year:

screens2012.jpg

But-- it won't stick to what is basically teflon. It might adhere for awhile, but the first hot day in the sun and the paint is going to expand much faster than the platform and the bond will likely break...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Couple thousand I reckon, thinkin' 'bout changin' my handle to jignjug;)

Who in the heck would want to paint a flimsy milk jug??? ... and I'm pretty sure there's quite a difference 'tween a milk jug and that swim platform.

Painted the plastic/vinyl dash speaker covers on my '94 Chevy truck with that stuff over a year and a half ago and they still look good.
DSC02377_zpsa0bb548c.jpg

The truck sits out in the sun all day every day.

I also paint plastic crankbaits with it and it lasts longer than the original paint they put on at the factory.

The product has worked well for me, but I'm sure some people have problems with it because they don't prep for the paint right.

Those speaker grills are abs and the plugs are likely abs or pvc..... just because they are plastic doesn't mean they are the same as hdpe.... the paint WILL NOT STICK to it... I love krylon fusion and have used it many times but if he paints his swim platform with it he will be VERY disjointed.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

agreed, i work in a blowmolding facility that uses primarily HDPE material.

we sent some stuff out watering cans and flower pot type items to see if a local paint shop who specialized in plastics could put a finish on them that would last..

after months of failure they gave up. it either would never dry or pop off in a sheet as soon as there was an impact or flex of any degree.

even using solvent based paints that work well on ABS stuff... HDPE is one of those things that is what it is, the only way to succesfully color it long term is to introduce a colorant into it during melt process. and even those when not a UV stable variant will fade like anything else.