Haynes Repair Manual Translated

bh357

Chief Petty Officer
This is important to anyone who works on their own cars. Please note that this also applys to Chiltons manuals.<br /><br /><br />Haynes manual translated:<br /><br />Haynes: This is a snug fit.<br />Translation: You will skin your knuckles!<br /><br />Haynes: This is a tight fit. Translation: Not a hope in h e double hockey stick!<br /><br />Haynes: As described in Chapter 7...<br />Translation: That'll teach you not to read through before you start,now you are looking at scary photos of the inside of a gearbox.<br /><br />Haynes: Pry... <br />Translation: Hammer a screwdriver into...<br /><br />Haynes: Undo...<br />Translation: Go buy a carton of WD40.<br /><br />Haynes: Retain tiny spring...<br />Translation: "Jeez what was that, it nearly had my eye out"!<br /><br />Haynes: Press and rotate to remove bulb...<br />Translation: OK - that's the glass bit off, now fetch some good pliers to dig out the bayonet part.<br /><br />Haynes: Lightly...<br />Translation: Start off lightly and build up till the veins on your forehead are throbbing them re-check the manual because this can not <br />be 'lightly' what you are doing now.<br /><br />Haynes: Weekly checks...<br />Translation: If it isn't broken don't fix it!<br /><br />Haynes: Routine maintenance...<br />Translation: If it isn't broken... it's about to be!<br /><br />Haynes: One spanner rating.<br />Translation: Your Mom could do this... so how did you manage to botch it up?<br /><br />Haynes: Two spanner rating.<br />Translation: Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, tiny, little number... but you also thought the wiring<br />diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).<br /><br />Haynes: Three spanner rating.<br />Translation: But Nova's are easy to maintain right...right? So you think three Nova spanners has got to be like a 'regular<br />car' two spanner job.<br /><br />Haynes: Four spanner rating.<br />Translation: You are seriously considering this aren't you, you pleb!<br /><br />Haynes: Five spanner rating.<br />Translation: OK - but don't expect us to ride in it afterwards!!!<br /><br />Haynes: If not, you can fabricate your own special tool like this...<br />Translation:hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!!!!<br /><br />Haynes: Compress...<br />Translation: Squeeze with all your might, jump up and down on, swear at,throw at the garage wall, then search in the dark corner<br />of the garage for it whilst muttering "sumanabeech" repeatedly under your breath.<br /><br />Haynes: Inspect...<br />Translation: Squint at really hard and pretend you know what you are looking<br />at, then declare in a loud knowing voice to your wife"Yep, as I thought, it's going to need a new one"<br /><br />Haynes: Carefully......<br />Translation: You are about to cut yourself!<br /><br />Haynes: Retaining nut...<br />Translation: Yes, that's it, that big spherical blob of rust.<br /><br />Haynes: Get an assistant.......<br />Translation: Prepare to humiliate yourself in front of someone you know.<br /><br />Haynes: Turning the engine will be easier with the spark pugs removed.<br />Translation: However, starting the engine afterwards will be much harder.Once that sinking pit of your stomach feeling has subsided, you can<br />start to feel deeply ashamed as you gingerly refit the spark plugs.<br /><br />Haynes: Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal.<br />Translation: But you swear in different places.<br /><br />Haynes: Pry away plastic locating pegs...<br />Translation: Snap off...<br /><br />Haynes: Using a suitable drift...<br />Translation: The biggest nail in your tool box isn't a suitable drift!<br /><br />Haynes: Everyday tool kit<br />Translation: Ensure you have an RAC Card & Mobile Phone<br /><br />Haynes: Apply moderate heat<br />Translation: Placing your mouth near it and huffing isn't moderate heat.<br /><br />Haynes: Index<br />Translation: List of all the things in the book except the thing you want to do!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Haynes Repair Manual Translated

:D <br /><br />I hate the stupid manual, they always ack like it is an easy job.<br /><br />Plus they always say, "use special tool #XXXX". I say, if I could afford this stupid expensive tool, I wouldnt be looking in the manual, I would take it to a pro. :mad: <br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Should have a disclaimer on the cover. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the ubiquitous step 1..."Disconnect Negative Battery Cable" doesn't matter what the task is, thats the first step in almost every manual I have ever seen.

ndemge

Commander

My boat a few years ago... had OMC 800 outdrive... seemed anything I looked up began like this: "Remove Outdrive"<br /><br />Screw this, sold the boat.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I can read alright, i just don't understand a lick, so when all else fails beat it with the biggest hammer at hand. So take the manual and....Naaaa!! the paper ain't soft enough :D

dolluper

Captain

I like Warning might case bodily injury

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

When doing tasks such as heater core removal, I like how they say such things as "remove dash panel" and give no hint as to how to do it. At least a picture with the screw locations would be helpful. Its the last "hidden" screw that always gets you.<br /><br />Ken

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What really gets me is the "Simply remove xxx". Then, it takes 4 hours to do this SIMPLE job! Right!! Thanks guys!!!<br /><br />Chris.....

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I really prefer the manufacturer's service manuals, i've found them to be much more detailed. The clymer, seloc, haynes and chilton manuals have the tendency to cover too many year models of the particular motor that you are trying to work on, in my opinion it's well worth going the extra dollars and get the most accurate information and much clearer diagrams.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what about the statement that its a general description and your model MAY vary. always seems I had the varience and it had an extra fastener or needed a different procedure that was thoughtfully neglected.