Having Cooling Problems / Low water presure '95 150 Mariner

BIGFLAT

Cadet
Changed the water pump kit because of low water pressure and temp indicator showing middle of gauge temps. Have removed thermostats, cleaned some silt from the poppit diaphragm area, and checked the gauge for accuracy. Have a good tattle tale stream, but can only get 8# of pressure at 4200 RPM's. (When I changed the kit 3 years ago I had 14# at the same RPM's) and little or no pressure at idle. I am loosing sleep over this problem. I'm ready to pull the lower unit, but don't know what to look for. I was real careful when I did the kit change a couple of month's ago to locate the parts as I took them out and replace the correct gaskets. I'm new here and would like any suggestions to help me solve this problem. Thanks for your help...BF

BIGFLAT

Cadet
Re: Having Cooling Problems / Low water presure '95 150 Mariner

I tried to use the edit portion for this post and I couldn't get it to post. I'd like to add some more information.
I changed all the hoses and removed the 3/4 " fitting atop the block looking for a restriction, but neither had any effect on my problem This engine was never run hot, in fact I can't ever remember seeing the temp indicator at 3/4 of the dial...BF

dish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried to use the edit portion for this post and I couldn't get it to post. I'd like to add some more information.
I changed all the hoses and removed the 3/4 " fitting atop the block looking for a restriction, but neither had any effect on my problem This engine was never run hot, in fact I can't ever remember seeing the temp indicator at 3/4 of the dial...BF

Are you running on muffs??? In the water???? Did you just service water pump or 3 years ago???? I would pull lower unit and replace impeller and check wear plate.

BIGFLAT

Cadet

Dish...all of my 'test' were in the water...I recently changed the water pump kit. Before that was changed 3 years ago. At that time every thing was normal. The loss of pressure and the higher temp indications began last year, but I didn't get around to installing the kit til march...BF