havent ran outboard in a little over a year

sheaston

Seaman Apprentice
what kind of oil should i spray in the head to help lub the pistons before i fire this motor up?<br />or should i just mix the fuel a little rich?<br />this is a 50 hp force 1990 model#507x90d<br />thanks for any help

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: havent ran outboard in a little over a year

Just spray a little WD40 in there (some may suggest something else, but I've used it for years), turn it over a few times...just get everything wet and lube everything else thats needs it. I would run 25:1 (double oil) for the first 5/6 gallons. Watch for good water output too, as sitting is no good for the water pump impeller. And if its never been changed, DO IT NOW. Good luck

sheaston

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for your help<br /><br />i already changed the impeller first change since new(figured it was time<br /><br />there is not a good indicator of water flow on this motor<br /><br />it has never got hot in the past though

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Not so much as heat will wreck it (and it will), but sitting. Some of those fins are ALWAYS in a bent over position...dry up and take a set, and crack off, plugging SOMETHING up...and wrecking your day. Wish you well, and sounds like you will be fine...Robby