Have you ever bought a 2nd hand Boat ?

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice
Over Christmas my family and I made the annual trip to my mother's for christmas day and on the way I spotted an old Haines Hunter V133 ( 14 foot ski / runabout...fiberglass )with an '84 Mariner punching out what I thought were 75 reliables horses ! The boat itself has been garaged all its life and everything was in immaculate condition.<br />My wife immediately said this is the one and we rang the guy and arranged a test run. On the day of the test it behaves well and with 3 adults and my son, we hit 45 mile an hour. Gearbox seems fine and apart from a slight rattling noise at full noise, we were very impressed and made an offer. Trailer is in excellent condition and our impression is this is the seller's pride and joy and it has had no expese spared to maintain it in near new condition. Then there's the downside.The seller has told me he doesn't know the history of the motor as he took it off his new boat that he has recently restored. His old faithful has also gone to the new boat.He suggests I get the carbies and the timing checked out but all else fine, and the comprssion tests shows all is AOK.<br />After discussing with my wife, we decide for the price he wants it's worth the risk ( motor wise ) and we settle for around 5000.<br /><br />I never got 45 mile an hour out of the motor again. The first time we took it out I purposely didn't kill the motor until we returned to the ramp and waited 5 mins and she kicked straight back to life. I then let it sit another 15 but couldn't get her to kick again.I take it to my mechanic and he rebuilds the carbies saying whoever has worked on these has cutr a few corners and they were fitted incorrectly. he also says the starter motor needs to be refitted as it is not sitting in the right spot and a few other things nshould be looked into. His advice is to book her in and he'll check the whole thing out as it looks a lil suspect.He also suggest a tank of 25/1 to ensure the motor gets plenty of oil. The next few trips I had the same scenario( difficult to start when hot although I was getting it to kick if i used the choke) and on the last one, after spending around 1 hr on Sydney Harbour and cruising up to Parramatta on around 30 mph, the motor starts running like it has a dirty fuel filter. I pull off the filter and clean it out, the reconnect it. I still can't get any more than about 5 knots out of the motor so it's off to my mechanic who after 5 days , finally gets around to my boat. The news ain't good. He can grab the flywheel and actually move it 1 - 2 cm sideways and he suspects a bearing or 3. I ask him to pull the motor down and see just what I'm looking at moneywise to rebuild it.<br />Another 2500 and I'll have a rebuilt motor with 6 month warranty. <br />I have ok'd this and sometime this week I'll finally get my new toy back with a reliable motor, fingers crossed !<br /><br /> I am not suprised I have had to do a rebuild, as the motor is 20 years old and with no service history , we took a gamble. My friend with the tools said he thinks the seller pulled down the motor , noticed it was worn , but rebuilt it anyway. The thing went fine so he sells it and the motor slowly but surely fails.<br />New cam, reeds, a couple of pistons and bearings and she should be good as new.<br /><br />The question is, how many of you have also had a similiar experience and is it as common as I think it is ?

Trophy23

Seaman
Re: Have you ever bought a 2nd hand Boat ?

Hey Big, don't feel too bad. I've only been in boating for about 4 years now. Spent 20 years in the Navy and never owned a boat before I was 50 years old. <br />My first boat was a Bayliner 1750. Bought from guy who "selling for sister who's husband had passed away". I was real stupid, :( didn't take on a water test and they hid a damaged spot on the nose with the 'For Sale' sign. Fixed that, then found the old OMC Cobra Clunk. That is a clutch dog going out. So, 500 dollars later and a lot of mechanics work on first IO. It ran great. It also had a carb that had a float sticking so would put escess gas in float bowl. No where to go, so guess what, it dumps in the oil pan. :mad: Not good. All fixed nowdays though and my 2500 dollar boat has now cost me 3500. :cool: <br />Now, I sell it to my brother, buy a Bayliner 2305 with a Old Mariner 220 outboard. Hey, got to be easier to fix or replace a outboard, right. Ha, after using the boat for about Three years, and having engine troubles despite taking to mechanic(none would listen that it started smoking between 3500 and 4500 rpms) :( , I decide I'm tired of this and go out to buy a new outboard. finally decided to try one of the new Merc Verado's. Decided to buy one and replaced kicker at same time. No more motor trouble for me, I hope. Still, I'm about 20 thou lighter in the pocket book :rolleyes: . The Mechanic said the Mariner was a pretty tired motor(why didn't he tell me that a couple of years ago??) :mad: :confused: . <br /> Moral of my story is that a used boat is very often being sold because the seller knows it will cost him substantially to fix it, or he thinks it's not worth while. But, a new boat while having less trouble, will cost you a lot more in the long run with todays high prices plus interest. <br />You learn you better be ready to put out the dough if ya own a boat. Nothing is cheap. But, welcome to boating and hopfully you'll have may happy days on the water that make it all worthwhile;). I have, or I wouldn't own one if money was all that mattered. :D Mike

Trophy23

Seaman

Hi again Big, wanted to let you know there is a lot of great guys on iboats.com who will help you with just about any problem. A lot of opinions you have to sort out as to which motor or boat is best, but many have a tremendous amount of time in the boating world. Some are biased a little due to being young or old just like people are with cars too. Listen to them all and you'll gleen some great insight. They will assist you with any problem. Just make sure you post in correct forum so you get a fast response. Again, welcome to iboats and happy boating.<br />Mike :D

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Mike, I agree totally with your opinion on why the seller is selling.<br />I had a tinny for the last 6 years with a 9.9 Mariner which I bought new and it never let me down once.<br />I was lookin g at around 7500 - 8000 australian for a 70 horse yamaha oil injected yamaha fitted and decided that was 5000 more than I wanted to spend. Hopefully I won't regret my decision..............<br /><br />all the best<br /><br />Luke

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Mike and your right, my experience so dar with iboats has been fantastic and I'm a huge fan of the website. I learn something new everytime I visit the site.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can't club all sellers together as sharks. There's honest and dishonest in every walk of life.<br /><br />I've bought duff boats because my heart ruled my head, and I've also kept up friendships with honest sellers who've sold just to upgrade.<br /><br />Trouble with boats - they're not like cars - your heart rules a lot of the time!

11 footer

Lieutenant

We have never had a bad experence buying a used boat, there have been four of them in my live time, the top two sellers where the guy my dad bought a 27'Formula from years ago. It was like of the prolbem-prone boat and he would ask how everthing was working even a few years after and offer to help on any matence because he knew the boat very well.<br />Just this year we bought a boat from JB.....another exelent and honest seller.<br /><br />Old stuff dosn't last forever, and you get what you pay for.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would never, ever buy any used boat without having a surveyor look at it. Unfortunately, if you would have had the boat surveyed, this wouldn't have happened. I know, you don't want to hear that, but maybe your experience will help someone else down the road.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Of the dozen or so boats I have owned, I bought two of them new. All the rest were "used". <br /><br />Always felt that I got my money worth, but never expected a perfect boat or engine.<br /><br />I guess I spotted the dishonest sellers before I got to the buying part. Not magic, just blind luck. :)

f_inscreenname

Commander

Always expect the worst and hope for the best is the way I do it. I really don't think I would ever buy a new boat. Way to much money for 7 to 8 months a year. I also enjoy the rebuild. When ever I buy a boat I plan an a keel up restore. If it doesn't need a transom or stringers I feel like I got a better deal then planed. Not saying it is cheaper to restore a boat but you do it when you have the money and if you don't have the money it can sit till you do (not like payments). If you do buy a used boat plan on fixing all the stuff the owner before you either neglected to fix or didn't have the money for. For me that $814.00 boat over there has more the 8 grand in it over the last 4 years and I stopped keeping track a long time ago.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would never buy a new boat - particularly in salt they depreciate worse than cars the second they come off the lot. And the industry record for new boats being problem-free is not good it any case.<br /><br />The downside of course is you have to do your due diligence. If you can't verify the history of a used boat, pass on it. And whatever you have to pay a mechanic to check it out is money well spent.

Twidget

Commander

I have had several boats, only one of which was new. The new one was the only one that had any issues. This was exacerbated by the fact that the dealer didnt turn in the warranty info at the time of sale.<br /><br />*knocks on wood* I have never had a real problem with a used boat. The one I have now actually surprised me. I bought it thinking I would have quite a bit of work to do. The gelcoat was faded and the seats needed to be replace, but the wood was all great.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I've bought two new boats in 17yrs of ownership. Heck my first boat was an insurance salvage but took very little to get it back to looking and performing like new, seriously. The last used one I bought (last summer) was intendend as a project boat.. its a heart ache in the works yet.<br /><br />Just really depends on ones perspective as to what to buy and what they'll be happy with.

Trophy23

Seaman

Hi Luke, didn't mean for people to think all boat sellers are dishonest. :rolleyes: Both boats I bought, are by far less costly than a new one of the same type even after repairs and I do know them from one end to the other. ;) That does give a person a little comfort when out on the water. My time fishing or cruising on the water is irreplaceable. Total enjoyment. I'm sure yours will be too. I totally agree with JB and f-in, you have to expect to put some money into a used boat. But the rewards are great. You meet a lot of nice people on the water, most are very helpfull just like here on iboats. <br /> I'd never heard of a survey until I saw larger boats for sale. Still not sure what one costs or how you'd ever go about getting one. But if I was putting down a lot of money on a larger boat, I definetly would want one if it is like a home inspection before you buy one. <br />Well, hope all you iboat crowd have happy times on and off the water. I'm sure going too --- if spring ever gets here. :D

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice

If all 2nd hand sellers were crooks then I have just committed an offence as well.......hehehe<br />I should have clarified , I agree that it is a good idea to consider all my not be as it seems when purchasing a 2nd hand boat. As I said originally, we were happy to take the risk on the motor and even after the rebuild, I don't believe Ihave lost any money. I should end up with a good, reliable boat and motor that will serve my family and I for the next couple of years and That's priceless !<br /><br />Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and keep 'em coming........

Northern Eclipse

All three of the boats I have purchased have been used, I tend to buy a 5 or 6 year old boat, so far I'v had good luck, but of course I expect and except that fact that I will spend some money for repairs. I'v only bought from a dealer and have been able to get them to replace bellows and impellers and just make the boat fully serviced and turn key. A decent dealer will mostly agree to this since it could eliminate a comeback with a problem and ruin your buying experince and cut into their profit if they agree to a warranty period.

D

DJ

I've owned MANY used boats. Typically, you get what you pay for. Yet, some things just happen.<br /><br />The worst boat I ever bought was a new one.

Tinkerer

I bought my current late '60's / early '70's 4.5m Caribbean fibreglass runabout a couple of years ago for AU$600 because the hull was in great condition. All I wanted was a solid fishing platform. <br /><br />The '67 Evinrude V4 60 HP on it was a bonus that I didn't factor into the price as I had no way of knowing if it ran when I bought it. I ended up rebuilding the motor with some help from a lot of people on iboats, although initially I was going to put another motor on it. <br /><br />I haven't put a grand more into the boat and motor since I bought them yet for under $1500 I have a rig that's as good as a lot of boats selling for two to three times that price. <br /><br />Mine starts every time, unlike a lot of later motors that clag up the ramps. She chews up fuel but I like her a bit like an old '60's V8 in a car. Easily done over by modern electronics but still a throbbing charm of her own.<br /><br />Used boats work fine by me.