Have you been Served?

SoulWinner

Commander
One of my occupations is a Process Server. It isn't like in the movies or on TV, where you sneak up on the guy, hand them the papers and say "You've been served." In Florida I am legally bound to explain the summons to the person being served, and I have to print my full name, give my Process Server License number, and my signature. I have served all kinds of papers, mostly foreclosures and collections summons. I try to make it painless for the person being served, treat them respectfully and be as nice about it as I can. It's odd, but most folks are realy cool about it, but doctors are the biggest pain in the behind to serve. They always treat me like trash.<br /><br />Anyhoo, I was curious if anyone here had ever been served, how was it done? Was the Process Server nice about it?

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Have you been Served?

I got a phone call from a person hired to serve me asking if i would meet him half way guess you no what i told him. The next day he showed up handed me the papers and left never said a word

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I got served with divorce one time. Someone called from the court clerks office and told me he had the papers to serve me. I told him I expected it. He said just to consider myself served and he would mail the paperwork.<br /><br />BTW, never did get the divorce. That was a rough time 15 years ago.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I got served during a divorce many years ago. I came home from work one afternoon, didn't see anyone on the street, got out of the car and heard my name called from behind. Turned around then this guy slapped papers against my chest and ran like hell. Funny thing was if he had stayed around I'd have bought him a beer. :D

SoulWinner

Commander

I haven't served any divorce papers yet. I am not looking forward to it either. Talk about wanting to kill the messenger! I don't need that.<br /><br />Recently I had papers to serve on two older females who had rented a house with a fireplace, and accidently burned the house down. The insurance company was sueing them for the value of the house. Well, I managed to serve one of them, but the other one was hiding, and the one I served was helping to conceal the whereabouts of the one in hiding. Well, I just started knocking on all the nieghbors doors, and found that next door were grandchildren o the one that was hiding, and they told me what she drove, and that she was in the house where I served the other lady. I wet back and knocked on the door and here came. Boy she was mad and threatening me, and cursing me for talking to her grandkids. I managed to serve her, but she was scary.<br /><br />I have also had to serve papers way out in the woods. Those are scary too, and I always carry when I have go into the sticks, or into really bad neighborhoods.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Around here the Sheriffs Office does it. They get at minimum $35 a piece. The money goes into a general fund at the SO. Sometimes I think that that is how we fund everything.

one more cast

Captain

I was served papers a couple of times. Once the server just knocked on the door told me he had papers, I ask him what they were, he told me and that was that.Some BS law suit that I ended up beating. I also was served papers once from the sheriffs dept. The officer handed me the papers and I told him " divorce papers huh?" he said " no, order of protection" I was blown away. I never harassed the woman in any way. He went on to explain that it was common proceeder in a divorce now a days.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not sure if a subpoena is the same as being "served" but I have recieved a few of those on behalf of or against clients I have worked with as a counselor..When I can anticipate them I have gotten skillful as dodging them until after the scheduled appearance..there were others though where I was happy to testify for whatever reason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Been served twice, SW, both in FL.<br /><br />Both times it was a Deputy and both of them were very professional and courteous. I bore neither any ill will. BTW, I won both cases. :)

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hear in Mo if it's a civil action the lawyer can hire anyone to do it. I have been served several times mostly pertaning to city business. The last one was a real jerk, showed up first time at 1:30am ringing door bells, pounding on windows and yelling for me to come out, simply did not answer the door. Everyone knew it was comming so we played follow the leader for a couple a days having some fun. Kept changing cars and trucks and arival and depature times. I finaly let the guy serve me after I led him on a 10 mile road trip and then stopped for coffee, poor dummy was so mad he threw them in a open window of the truck yelled a few choice words and tore out the parking lot. btw city won case and I never had to make appearence in court.<br />Had he showed up at a reasonible time with a reasionable attude he would not have had a problem.<br />Ray

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Got served at work. Guy came in and asked for me saying he had a couple questions on his project, served me the papers and left without a word. He was suing someone else and wanted me for a witness. I just said what I seen while on the stand, he lost. I was glad.

crab bait

Captain

how many times is TO many times..??<br /><br />that's why i never answer the door.. or go out without at least 'groucho glasses'..

SoulWinner

Commander

alderman,<br /><br />If I pulled something like that, the person served could call the First Circuit judge and have my license to serve revoked. Florida is very strict about who can serve and how service is made. This year I even had to take a test covering the laws regarding serving papers. I am only licensed to serve in the First Judicial Circuit, that covers Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton Counties. <br /><br />I don't get why some process servers are jerks. I know a couple of other local servers who are jerks to the people they serve. Guys like that make my job harder to do, becvause they make us all look bad. Most people I serve feel pretty good the experience afterward. I do what I can to calm any fears they may have about the papers I am serving. After all, they just people, like me.

D

DJ

Do you mean by a waiter/waitress/food server?<br /><br />Then. Yes.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Soulwinner; Like I said I knew it comming, it wasen't the first time i had been served and hopefully it will be the last. If the server shows up with a good attitude, then no problem. I take the papers and say thanks. I am covered by a large insurance policy through the city and we have one of the best legal firms in the midwest. It is all part of being elected to a office. <br />The best part about this guy was another person he served in the same case. She is a single school teacher and lives with her mother, when he parked in her driveway at 4am she called the local PD. Something about a stranger on her property. I belive they quoted chapter and verse from the book to him. ;) <br />Ray

PW2

Commander

I would not want some stranger explaining the why's and wherefore's of legal papers served on me. I's none of their business. Just hand me the papers, without comment, and I'll deal with them in the way I choose.<br /> The server's role should be completed when they can certify the person named actually received the papers. Spare me the explainations, concern, sympathy, or whatever else you might feel the need to express.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two Christmas eve's ago, My business got served with a complaint seeking four million in damages. The guy was totally cool when he walked into my office. Settled for 13K. Been served a few more times since, each time with respect. I appreciate your attitude soul, it's not the greatest thing to be served. <br />On a couple personal cases, the atty's just called and offered doc's to be picked up or be served.

Twidget

Commander

During my divorce, many years ago, the ex ran off to California to try avoiding it. My attorney tried to send the papers registered mail(She was hiding at her parents house). When that didnt work, he had the Sheriffs dept. do it. From what he told me, she gave that poor sherrif heck.

aspeck

Staff member

I ws served once - but I requested it. Customers of mine were getting divorced and because of a fight I witnessed between them, the husband wanted me to testify in his behalf. Told him it would be no problem, but he would have to subpeona me - so I could say I was forced to go.<br /><br />No problem getting the papers, Sheriff served them to me at work. Man got the divorce and custody of the child (yes, she instigated the fight and he never laid a hand on her).