have a '90 johnson with a few probs!!

JimmyDeb

Cadet
I have a 40hp johnson on a tracker boat.I have a few ?'s about some probs and any help would save me a trip to the marina!!!!---Ok first off i am a Mechanic so i should be able to handle any work but i have never NEVER liked 2 cycle motors!!(weedeaters can make me say those words that only mechanics know!)---what i am running into is this is my first boat!got it from my mother for christmas.----ok first prob is when i start the motor it will run for a second then shut off--it doesnt matter if i have the speed up or not!(now the thing i must say is when i pump the bulb till it gets hard i have a little gas that seeps out out of the top of the fuel pump--since this is my first boat is there a like a pressure relief on top?it doesnt look cracked!---other ? is around my prop i have a muddy looking oil coming out of it--this is an exhuast out the prop motor---i did just cange the crankcase oil--and the oil doesnt smell like crankcase oil?!?so i unhooked the injection oil line and i dont see any water in it!this is a distubing looking oil to me!---<br /><br />----------------------------------summary is cause i know i can confuse when i type!---------------1)Engine dying a few secs after starting.2)watery oil leaking from around prop.<br /><br />--------------thanks for the help!!!!JimmyD!

ob

Admiral
Re: have a '90 johnson with a few probs!!

JimmyD,Your running problem may be attributable to the fuel leak you mentioned causing the fuel pump to suck in air while running.That's only one possibility.Your carbureators may also be fouled with gummy deposits causing your problem.First thing I would do is address the fuel leak by removing the fuel pump and installing a rebuild kit.Insure that your fuel tank is venting properly.Also insure that the fuel filter is clean.<br />Does the primer bulb seem to colapse when engine is running or does it remain somewhat firm?If it colapses it would be indicative of a fuel restriction upstream of the primer bulb,ie tank pickup tube or defective anti syphon valve on fuel tank.Check these items so that we can eliminate them as culprit before we isolate the problem to possible fouled carbs.<br /> Next , the oil that is accumulating behind the prop first needs to be identified as either lower unit gear oil or two cycle oilm residue. That can best be determined by first removing the prop and inspecting around the proshaft seal for leakage.If gear oil is leaking out it is almost certain that water will leak in when submerged.Two cycle oil residue will appear black in color and be gummy feeling.gear oil could appear black as well depending upon when it was last changed before accummulation occured and will have a distinctive odor.It may also appear milky looking if it is gear oil.

JimmyDeb

Cadet

ok all!its no the fuel pump its leaking out of!its the VRO thingy!And i pulled the plugs and they are fouled pretty bad---so im gonna JBweld(ack) the top of the vro and try to run it just to see if its suking air to the point its killing it and maybe causeing a prob with oil murky oil out the exhaust!Thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jimmy - As a mechanic you may not want to hear this but get the OMC manual for your motor - forget the Clymer/Soltec or others - go OMC. Hit your local library if you must. If/when you post back tell us the year of your motor.<br /><br />Think carb ket and water pump also.

JimmyDeb

Cadet

Yeah i should of ordered a book when i got the Boat!ill look for the factory book as i know they are always better and worth the xtra $!!!---Im not to sure about the year right now but its on a 90 tracker pro V17. My mother bought the boat from a older couple who had it new and they said it was all orig and my mother just had the waterpump and carbs done within the last yr and also she had tilt/trim added within last year.Im just hoping its all due to the leaking fuel!--hey if ya get within next hour email me with your phone number or just email me!i will email you my number i will call you so its my charge---would love to talk to someone on this!I just went out to ck numbers on carbs cause there is a VRO with carbs going for like 12$ on ebay but its off a 87 50hp motor and i cant find any numbers on my carbs except the stamped numbers!

ob

Admiral

JimmyD.that VRO thingy is your fuel pump.It is a duel assy. in which one half pumps oil and the other half pumps fuel.It is an air motor driven unit via crankcase pulses.If it appears that the casing is fractured it will indeed need to be replaced.If it is gasket related you can get a rebuild kit.If this motor has set idle out of use for an extended period after the carbs were worked on ,it is likely the carbs are fouled and will need to be dismantled and cleaned again.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

JimmyD, follow instructions above. Actually it is not a tough job, just set your mind you can do it. Go a step at the time. Take carbs off, (very simple, but look at all connections so you can re install) clean them up very well. If you are indoubt your VRO pump is defective, run premix gas from tank, to avoid lack of oil in motor. Then drain lower unit oil, refill with proper lube, or, just to check seals, plain old 80w90 gear lube (then if it's fine, you can replace it with correct outboard gear oil). Put motor in a tank or in water, run it for a while. Check oil again, if it's milky color, instead of brown or dark, you have to replace seals or find out where water comes in.<br />Very important things: be sure motor has oil in gas or from VRO, be sure you run it with water muffs or in tank to cool it, be sure you have tell tale stream coming out of lower right side of cowl.<br /><br />If you can fix a car/truck motor, I can guarantee you can work on this one, just use A LOT of common sense.

JimmyDeb

Cadet

ok !i replaced the leaking VRO<br />(with a fuel pump and i mix fuel now!) and still have a problem---it still shuts off after 5 sec of running but if i push in the key (i guess this is to prime it?)--it will stay running if i keep pushing it!So i am close !!im gonna say the floats must be sticking and when i prime it it bypasses the carbs??????any answers would be a great help!--thanks!

D

DJ

JimmyDeb,<br /><br />You still have a fuel delivery problem.<br /><br />1. Does the primer bulb remain hard after it is pumped up?<br /><br />2. Have you run it with a seperate fuel line (different) from a seperate tank?<br /><br />3. There is a arrow on the primer bulb that denotes the direction of fuel flow. Make sure the arrow is pointed toward the engine.

JimmyDeb

Cadet

the bulb does get alittle soft but not much!like less than 1/2 inch squeeze after i run it.

D

DJ

JimmyDeb,<br /><br />It should remain rock hard.<br /><br />I think I would be looking at your fuel source. You can eliminate a lot of headaches by trying it with a different tank and hose.

JimmyDeb

Cadet

i did forget to try it without the cap on it--i had heard i could have a vent problem?!?---would that cause that prob in that amount of time?

D

DJ

JimmyDeb,<br /><br />Probably not after five seconds. <br /><br />However, you can also be pulling air into the fuel system, or intake, somewhere.<br /><br />All I'm saying is that I would start at one end of the fuel system (tank) and work toward the engine.<br /><br />You will proably find a loose connection.<br /><br />Worst case scenarios: You may have to go back into one or both carbs. You may have an air leak into the engine somewhere behind the carbs.

JimmyDeb

Cadet

good news!!!I got it running!!!the top carb was clogged bad!!!got cleaner running into all ports and jets now!!!---bad news is it runs great at idle but when i kick it up a bit it cuts out then revs up then cuts out and does it till i shut turn it back to idle!?!?!?!??????thanks for the help atleast getting it running!

JimmyDeb

Cadet

all i can say is thanks alot for the help!--i will post more her eand try to help peps with my exp----The Boat is running so good!i ran it for an hour or so today and it almost made me cry to finally have a boat i can fish from!!!------what all i had to do----1)replace transom-in turn while the motor sat up the carbs dried out and pluged up--(noticed the VRO leaking fuel out the top also)--so as i rebuilt the carbs i go the manual and followed all the steps to sync and tune the motor(didnt mess with the adj screws in the carbs---I found that the throttle cams were way off!!!i mean like 1 inch!-so the way they had it running was to compensate with other adjustments!everything was so far off i dont know how it even ran!Anyway i got it all going so good and i can thank alot of people here for the help!!!-THANKS!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

...and don't it make ya feel good when ya did it yourself!<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

I am having a problem with an 89 same boat, same HP. Can you tell me what pitch prop you are using? See my post. Thanks