Have 4 Pin but NEED 5 Pin

HotLava

Seaman
Hi Everyone,<br /><br />I bought a 2004 XTerra with the factory tow package. The tow package is a Class IV hitch with a 4 pin flat connector. My boat dealer says I need a 5 pin flat connector. I called Nissan service and they don't have a 5 pin flat for my truck. I am very hesitant to go to UHaul (after seeing their shop) to get the connector installed. Is there an adapter 4-->5 that would require me to only wire the reverse light pin or do I have to replace the conncetor entirely? Where do you guys normally go to have this done?<br /><br />Thanks<br />John

KM2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Have 4 Pin but NEED 5 Pin

HotLava,<br /><br />Yes, you can get the part you described. A 4 to 5 plug and tap into the reverse lights. I don't know if iboats has them, if not I suggest etrailer.com.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Like he said, you can probably find an adapter. If you want someone to do the work, look in your yellow pages under "trailers - equipment and parts" You'll find the parts as well as people to do the work for you. Or, you could find the part there and have any competent auto shop install it for you. There's more options than UHaul. (although our local UHaul is fine).

QC

Supreme Mariner

Walmart actually has a pretty good supply of adapters, but not sure about the 4 - 5. U-haul usually has them on the shelf too (you wouldn't have to use their shop).<br /><br />I would cut the existing 4 pin off and add the reverse light wire to the harness by wrapping with electrical tape making it into a new 5 wire harness. Then splice in a new 5 pin connector. Seems cleaner to me . . .

HotLava

Seaman

Yeah, I got the 5 pin harness from my boat dealer this afternoon. I found a local (somewhat) trailer dealer that will install it for me. I hate tampering with electrical systems in cars. Especially when the car is only a few months old :-S<br /><br />Thanks for the help. Enjoy!<br />John

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

For those with the same problem, you need something like this for < $5 :<br /><br /> http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/ad4wayflto5w.html <br /><br />
autoaccessconnect_1845_13133454
<br /><br />Just find the reverse wire and add the splice. Even has a disconnect for the reverse wire.