hatteras, NC

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to the Hatteras area (Outer Banks,Frisco area) in midJuly for vacation. I am looking for advice about what I can expect to catch from the piers and how I should fish them. I have never fished saltwater and I am l really looking forward to it. I am also planning to charter a trip - any advice there as well?

Thanks John

jrbachman

Cadet
Re: hatteras, NC

John I have used Oregon Inlet and Pirates cove but they are usally booked in advance. Not sure if you could just walk in and get a charter. All chrters I have used were offshore for tuna and dolphin. Its a great time hope this helps and enjoy your vacation.

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jrbachman said:
John I have used Oregon Inlet and Pirates cove but they are usally booked in advance. Not sure if you could just walk in and get a charter. All chrters I have used were offshore for tuna and dolphin. Its a great time hope this helps and enjoy your vacation.

Thanks for the info. I will be renting a beachhouse about 200 yards from the Hatteras Pier. From what I have read the fishing off the pier ought to be pretty good. What kind of gear should I bring for pier fishing. I guess it is known for King Mackerel. I have a couple 8 1/2 foot spinning outfits for big catfish and some ugly sticks with casting reels for bass. Will those work okay? I know I have to clean them after saltwater
fishing. I am really looking forward to it. Any suggestions from anyone on things to do there? I would be happy fishing, but I am bringing the wife and she won't be. I will go see the Lighthouse of course - anything else?

nothreat said:
jrbachman said:

Thanks for the info. I will be renting a beachhouse about 200 yards from the Hatteras Pier. From what I have read the fishing off the pier ought to be pretty good. What kind of gear should I bring for pier fishing. I guess it is known for King Mackerel. I have a couple 8 1/2 foot spinning outfits for big catfish and some ugly sticks with casting reels for bass. Will those work okay? I know I have to clean them after saltwater
fishing. I am really looking forward to it. Any suggestions from anyone on things to do there? I would be happy fishing, but I am bringing the wife and she won't be. I will go see the Lighthouse of course - anything else?

Check out ncwaterman.com for fishing info