Has anyone tried this???

THard

Cadet
I recently discovered a crack in my block ( due to my own stupidity and naivity) I have OMC 3.o inline 4. Trying to find a block I can take to a machine shop has been impossible. 1700 to 2700 dollars for a new engine. I bought the boat for 4 grand. Anyway someone offered to weld the block and seal it with no warranty $200. Will it hold? I did a comp. check on the head its fine, the crack is about 3/4" from the top of the block. If anyone knows where to find a block let me know, I'd like to have one in case this doesn't work. Have you ever tried this?

D

DJ

Re: Has anyone tried this???

THArd,<br /><br />It's worth a shot as long as the crack is EXTERNAL only.<br /><br />Did you look on e-bay for engines. 3.0's pop up on there from time to time.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

My nephew had a similar problem. He had it welded and no problems. I am not saying it will work but he did it and had good results. If it were mine, I would try it.

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had oldtimer tell me had hole in block ,used grey marine tex ,held for yrs

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We call that "Stitching" and I know two folk that had it done for minor cracks many years ago. They both still run the outboards without trouble and have enjoyed them. They check visually each time they go out, without trouble thus far. They both saved much money and are prepared to replace the heads if necessary. Get a good man/woman to do the welding though!<br />Ross

THard

Cadet

Thanks for everyones encouragement. I'm tring it and will see hat happens.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

don't know about with boat motors but they do it to old tractors all the time. :cool: