Has Anyone Tried the Ultimate Bunk Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that it would be a good time to replace the bunks on my trailer and was looking at my options. The boat is a Tracker PT175 on a galvenized trailer. Initially I was going to go the untreated wood route with carpet, but I found these Ultimate Bunk Boards by browsing online.

http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/index.html

They are a little pricey (It will cost $132 to replace my boards), but the company warrants them for the life that you own the trailer which sounds appealing. Additionally, I would never have to jack with carpet, rotting wood and staples again. Any how, I was curious if any of you have experience with them.

Also, my bunks are currently screwed in with large lag screws. Would it be a better install to go back with counter sinking carriage bolts?

Thanks!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Has Anyone Tried the Ultimate Bunk Board?

You may be on to something here....

The ad sounds just like the composite (plastic) boards, that you can buy at any Home Depot. These plastic boards are used in deck construction...are gray in color...last forever...are weatherproof...and slick (just like the bunker strips that you add to your old bunks).

My guess is that you could buy these boards for under $50 at your local big box home improvement store!

That is what I am not too sure of yet. From what I have read searching the internet, it sounds like the Home Depot boards aren't the same material and aren't very strong. The few write-ups that I have found for the UBBs seem to be positive. Thanks for the advice!

LOW-LIFE

Seaman

them home depot boards tend to warp, and they get really really hot in the sun. not that it would matter much since u arnt siting on em.

also the home depot boards are combined with sawdust and plastic so they do have wood and will eventually rot

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

at $11.00 a foot, i can use 2x4 carpet and fill the boat with fuel. when properly done bunks last 10 years.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Looks interesting.

Let us know if you buy them.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

On another forum some of the guys are questioning those new bunk glides. Several people have them and swear by them. As far as mounting, I think lag bolts were a cheap alternative to doing it right; galvanized carraige bolts.

I sent some questions to the company last night and got a quick response. Here is what they stated:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your interest in our product.
Our boards are made from 100% polyethylene plastic, not the polypropylene composites you find elswhere.
This makes our boards much stronger.
I have these boards on my riveted boat and have had zero problems with the rivets.
Yes, our product can be easily fabricated for counter-sink holes.

I hope this helps and am sure you will be more than satisfied.

Thanks,

Joe Bova
UBB
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like they are made from different materials than the composites that are found at the big box stores. I think I am going to give them a try and will post up my thoughts on them. Thank you all for the feedback.

reelfishin

Captain

Years ago I used to do a lot of car restoration on the side, I had been doing a few older VW convertibles and at that time, there were companies making wood replacements, the original bows for the top were wood, they would split and rot, one company came out with a what appeared to be plastic particle board. It was made from plastic particles molded and fused together.
Those parts were used in the top of a convertible, they were made to last forever, and were often installed under a black canvas convertible top which would get too hot to touch on hot days in the sun. It didn't warp or soften in the sun and the bows were less than an inch in diameter.

If the bunk boards they are selling are anywhere near as tough as the parts we were using back then were, they should be fine. I would guess that the material they are using is similar to what is used in composite shipping pallets, which withstand years of abuse in all sorts of environments.

Just a note on the composite deck boards from big box stores, they are soft and quite flexible, I have a neighbor who did his deck in that stuff, it's on 16" centers over 2x12 joists and the boards still flex, so much so that many screws have either failed or pulled through. The surface of that stuff also has a coating or finish layer, once that's broken, most all of the strength is lost.
I'm nearly 300lbs, and walking on that deck is like walking on a trampoline.
I used standard 5/4" deck boards here and it's rock solid and over 20 years old, his is 3 years old and looking pretty bad already with several planks warped up and pulled through. His deck is half the size of mine, cost 8 times more and most likely won't last a quarter of the time which mine already has.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

The Director of Sales, from the below linked company, would like to get involved in this discussion...based upon my inquiry to him, as to his product being used as boat bunks. I think that he can answer any of our questions, as to if we can upgrade our trailer bunks...at a reasonable price.

I will only give him this forum link, if you guys want to hear what he has to offer.

In my mind (since I have paid for the plastic bunk runners on one of my trailers), if there is a plastic board out there...that would combine the permanence of a synthetic product, and the ease of launching of the added-on trailer runners...this gets my attention!

Here's the link...and let me know if you want to 'pick his brain'!

http://epsplasticlumber.com/lumberpricing.shtml?gclid=CMDa0rTloJgCFQXGsgod5VZgmg

The Director of Sales, from the below linked company, would like to get involved in this discussion...based upon my inquiry to him, as to his product being used as boat bunks. I think that he can answer any of our questions, as to if we can upgrade our trailer bunks...at a reasonable price.

I will only give him this forum link, if you guys want to hear what he has to offer.

In my mind (since I have paid for the plastic bunk runners on one of my trailers), if there is a plastic board out there...that would combine the permanence of a synthetic product, and the ease of launching of the added-on trailer runners...this gets my attention!

Here's the link...and let me know if you want to 'pick his brain'!

http://epsplasticlumber.com/lumberpricing.shtml?gclid=CMDa0rTloJgCFQXGsgod5VZgmg

Thanks for getting this going, I look forward to their input!

I placed an order for the Ultimate Bunk Boards this morning and will post a response of my impression of them when I get them.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for getting this going, I look forward to their input!

I placed an order for the Ultimate Bunk Boards this morning and will post a response of my impression of them when I get them.

Noted...!

Anyone else interested in 'hearing' from an insider (I had set my threshold on three 'Yahs')...?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I want to know!

I'm going to be redoing my trailer soon and I wanted to use those strips on my bunks and add two forward bunks.

If I can get it all in one.

What about those steel reinforced ones on that link?

Are they fully encapsulated so I could use them is salt water?
(don't see fresh much)

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

That's three...I count myself!

Sending this link to the gentleman.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's been 7 days and so far he's a no show.......

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Got this...

"Dear John,

Thank you for your inquiry, we?re glad to contribute to your forum. I?d like to understand the details of your discussion in terms of the audience and logistics in order to contribute effectively.

I?d like to contact some of our clients to confirm their comfort in sharing what we otherwise treat as confidential client information. I can say that I?m in agreement with your contention of the virtual weatherproof aspect of our product. The fact that our formula results in a closed molecular structure makes harsh, wet climates an area in which we outperform the market in every meaningful way.

I look forward to enhancing your forum. Please provide logistic and participant information, if possible. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

John Fleming

Director of Sales

Engineered Plastic Systems

Office 800-480-2327

Cell 630-327-0259"

I will try to figure this out....

Well, at least I can give a brief update on the Ultimate Bunk Boards. They arrived today in well-boxed DHL packages. I haven't installed them yet, but opened them up and examined them. They seem like they will fit the bill nicely and didn't appear to be overly flexible like I had feared. The textured side should be a decent feature over standard composite boards as it looks like it will give them more grip than the smooth side.

I am looking forward to getting them bolted on, but it will probably be next week before I can get it done. I will post my impressions again at that time.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Cool.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.