Has anyone experience this: Jammed starter actuator?.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer
The motor was running for about 20 min. so it was warm. Ran out of gas, so it stopped. Change tanks, re-primed and tried to start.

First time I turned it to start, it turned over, but did not keep going, second time I turned the switch, I heard the starter run, but the gear did not engage.

Had to get towed home! Now I know how to tow a ?toon!

Took starter off, and noticed that I could not move the gear on the starter. I took a flat bladed screwdriver and pried at the gear. It then came loose, and I was able to move it up and down the shaft. I put it back in and now it works again!

I suspect that the engine backfired, jamming the starter gear back down. Anyone experience this, is there something I can do to prevent this from occurring again? This is a ?97 merc 115. Or should I keep a screwdriver on board for the next time!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Has anyone experience this: Jammed starter actuator?.

You should have a screwdriver on board anyway so the answer to that question would be yes, and a pliers, and a phillips, and a plug wrench and a set of plugs to name a few more items.

As for the starter bendix, remove it and clean the spiral grooves in the shaft. Check the grooves and the bendix for burrs. If you find any burrs, file them. Lubricate the shaft with very light machine oil or better yet, a product like Tri-Flow (silicone spray).

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Has anyone experience this: Jammed starter actuator?.

Ah, so thats called a bendix!, I did not see any burrs on it, but I will lube it. as for the tool set, sounds like something I should put together.

Thanks again