hardwood floors in 30"Pacemaker

diamonddave

Seaman
I want to change the flooring in my 30' Paceship. Can I use Home Depot composite flooring or do I have to use a marine flooring. Any help greatly appreciated

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: hardwood floors in 30"Pacemaker

What type of flooring are you talking about (Pergo,hardwood.....). I am a Home Depot flooring installer with about 20 years exp and a boater for life. It all depends on where it is going (in or out), type of flooring/decking down now, possibility of getting wet and how often, ect........Tell me as much as you can and I will see if I can help you. Not to sound like a sales associate.

JHOLE

Seaman Apprentice

Diamond,<br /><br />I wouldn't recomend normal laminate composite flooring for a boat. The biggest enemy of these types of flooring is moisture. You should check in your area for a "wilsonart" flooring distributor. They have a product line called "Performance". It has a "recycled plastic" core as opposed to high density fiber board. You may have to prod them a little because this product is not known as well as the "residential" product lines. It was formulated towards commercial applications (banks,malls, etc.) As of a couple years ago, you had to be factory certified to install this product. I did the cert. class and it wasn't that much different than installing the "normal" flooring. In short, because of the "plastic core" and increased surface film layers, this flooring could be installed in a swimming pool. It should last forever on your boat. I'm trying not to get too long , if I can help more let me know.

diamonddave

Seaman

f_in<br />As I said previosly it is a 30' Pacemaker, powerboat.I would be using the flooring down below in the dinnette, galley area, at present there is carpet over 3/4" plywood. The only time it would get wet is perhaps when changing bathing suits or getting out of the shower and those would be wiped up right away. The flooring I saw at Home Depot was a thin veneer laminated to a plywood core, thats why I thought it might be ok, I wouldnt even think of using an MDF core product. Hope this is enough info. I have digital phots of the area if that helps, let me know where I can send them.<br /><br />Regards