hard to steer at higher speeds

jimdogg1269

Cadet
i have a 2000 bayliner capri, 3.0L alpha one,, its steers fine just cruising around, but as i go faster, it gets harder to steer to the right,, any ideals?

jim

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hard to steer at higher speeds

Odds are you need to adjust the trim tab on the motor

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

new to you boat? did this problem just start?

probably just adjust trim tab on outdrive.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Loosen the bolt that goes down into the zinc trim tab and try rotating the back of the tab about 1/8" to 1/4" to the right. Tighten the trim tab bolt back down and go run it and see how that feels. You may need to adjust again to fine tune it.

jimdogg1269

Cadet

im new at this, still learning,, are you talking about the one over the prop,, if so, i dont see a bolt to losen

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, the one over the prop. Above the tab, it is one of the bolts thaat have to be removed to separate the upper unit from lower unit. It`s a hole in the upper looking down to the lower at the aft end of drive.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Might try turning the tab to the left.

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im new at this, still learning,, are you talking about the one over the prop,, if so, i dont see a bolt to losen

It's a cap on top right above the trim tab. just pop it out to get to the bolt. Not my boat but some image I found to help out.

P1050825.jpg
ot my boat but some image I found to help out.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

i have a 2000 bayliner capri, 3.0L alpha one,, its steers fine just cruising around, but as i go faster, it gets harder to steer to the right,, any ideals?

jim

Please check the power steering fluid and the belt for tightness first before making adjustments.

Can you hear pump cavitation or feel the wheel jump when you turn the wheel????

Ob1415

Seaman

Please check the power steering fluid and the belt for tightness first before making adjustments.

Can you hear pump cavitation or feel the wheel jump when you turn the wheel????

+1 on this. On my last boat, I had the same issue. When I opened the engine compartment, I found that the belt had sheered off, thus no power steering. Was not noticeable at slow speeds, but very difficult to turn right at higher speeds. Even if your belt is on, still check the tension and if loose, check to see if the power steering pump pulley spins freely. If all is okay on that regard, then move on to the trim tab adjustments.

jimdogg1269

Cadet

man u guys really know your stuff, this site is great, my wife gets on to me for spending so much time on here, but im kinda new at boating and i dont know who else to ask,, thanks for all the advice.

jim

howserss

Recruit

I am also having the same issue. It happens starting at about 30 mph and wont let me go much over that.