Hard to start when warm, then no power

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 70hp Chrysler starts on 1st or 2nd try when cold and it runs fine. If I take it out for a spin, everything runs normally until I shut it off. I have a hard time to get it going when it's warm. It seems to turn fine but it just won't catch. <br /><br />The neutral interlock switch has been bypassed (will have to fix). The bulb is hard and everything seems normal. The only way I can get it started when it's warm is in gear. I'll put the throttle to 3/4 open and turn the key. Voila, off she goes without a problem.<br /><br />The problem when the motor acts up like this is that I can't get max throttle out of it after I get it going. This has happened to me during the past 2 outings. This past weekend I had to do the in gear start and for the first 15 minutes I couldn't get any throttle out of the motor and the boat was just plowing through the water. The tach was reading 1200rpm's instead of the 1800rpm's that I get normally (see post "Tach Problem"). I just let is sit there because I was going back to the launch to take the boat out and head for home.<br /><br />All of a sudden, after about 15 minutes and 10 mins away from the launch, the rpm's started to pick up, I'm back on plane and back to my somewhat normal 1800rpm's. I reduced the throttle and then powered back up and the old girl was back up to 1800rpm's.<br /><br />I didn't want to shutoff the motor and try it again because of the trouble I have getting it going when it's warm.<br /><br />Being new to boating, I'm stumped. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Dymo

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hard to start when warm, then no power

*Bump*

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

*Bump*

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^^

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Float or floats are set too high and the flow of gas doesn't stop when engine does. :cool:

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Sony, I'll be sure to check that.