hard to start when hot

I have a 1976 Correct Craft SkiTique, as the moniker may suggest. I'm having a difficult time getting the engine (351 Ford Windsor...connected to a newly rebuilt Borg-Warner 1:1 transmission) to start when it is hot. It seems like it doesn't even want to turn over. I was thinking maybe the charging system...so I grabbed a fresh battery from my truck, and it started fine. After running for a little bit, it dies when the RPM's get too low, and is hard to start, even with the fresh battery. I pulled the battery out, put it back in my truck, and it worked fine (the battery that is).<br /><br />Let me know if I can clarify anything, or if you have an idea of what to troubleshoot.<br />Thanks,<br />Jeff

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hard to start when hot

from my expierences with autos and boats, it's either your alternator isn't charging right (loose fan belt), or your starter needs rebuilding, likely the latter since your truck started on the same battery without recharging it.<br /><br />Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I would also start with the starting and charging circuits. Start simple, and clean and tighten all electical connections (emphasis on all), and make sure the battery is fully charged. If there is still a problem, I would pull the starter and the alternator and have them both tested. If they check out OK, the next step would be to explore engine issues (timing could be advanced too far, for example, and the engine is bucking when hot).

boat doc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

typically what I see on what you have described is that the starter starts to heat sink. The starter pulls to much heat from the engine, and they get week. I do not know if you have a new starter or not. The weird thing is that it did fire with your truck battery (I assume the engine was still warm) If you do go out and buy a starter, then you will need a right hand starter for that engine if it is still factory. I would recomend what these other guys said first. Check your voltages. I belive that your low idle/die problem is another thing within itself.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Check the voltage with a good meter at the battery with the engine running at idle and no accessories (blower, pumps, ect.)turned on.. Should be around 13.5 volts at the battery terminals... That would indicate a healthy charging system..<br /><br /> That should help determine if it's the charging or starting thats causing the problem