hard to start 88 Johny 120

olm

Seaman
1988 Johnson 120. Replaced plugs,wires rebuilt carbs, removed heads cleaned water jackets and replace gasket.<br />runs great and starts incredible after first start or when warm. takes alot of work to get started the first time. Please advise on possible causes.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: hard to start 88 Johny 120

olm.....not sure whether that year motor has a choke or a primer, but either way I would start by making sure whichever one you have is working. Maybe this was not hooked back up correctly when you re-installed the carbs. What is your normal cold starting procedure?

olm

Seaman

normaly I crack the throtle, push in the key, this makes a clicking sound in the cowling. I asume this is some kind of primer. Then keep doing that until it finaly starts. Ive even cosidred installing a manual primer, im just not sure if that would help. We use to do that with jet skis in the old days.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

olm....not sure what you mean when you say "crack" the throttle, but the clicking you hear is the choke working so that is good. I think you answered your own question though, you absolutely need a primer bulb in the fuel line back towards the motor, this fills the carb bowls for cold starting. If you go and buy a primer bulb and put it inline with the arrow facing the motor, pump this until it gets hard(you will hear the fuel being pumped into the bowls), then push the key in to choke and turn to start and you should have a much easier cold start. Try leaving the throttle alone,(in neutral) and starting that way, if it starts, great, if it doesn't use the fast idle lever, but deffinetely get that primer bulb in there. Good Luck.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets try the ol 4 step program;<br /><br />1- Pump the bulb to pressure the fuel system and fill the carbs.<br /><br />2- Turn the key to the "On" position (do NOT engage the starter).<br /><br />3- Push the key in to activate the primer (thats the "click" you hear) and count to 8.<br /><br />4- Turn the key to the "Start" position to engage the starter. You may have to "tap" the primer a couple of times after the motor starts.<br /><br />You have "Quick Start" so you should not have to advance the throttle. The motor will rev slightly on its own. Do not shift it until it warms up and comes out of Quick Start.<br /><br />This is all assuming everything else is OK. Proper float levels, correct Champion plugs, fresh 87 octane, good compression, good oil at the correct mix, proper jetting, stock motor, good ignition, and so on.<br /><br />Good luck!

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1987 Johnson 200 HP does the same thing as your 120. Assuming your bulb and lines are OK, turn the red lever up on your primer celenoid and then pump up the bulb and start it up. It will probably fire right up. Once it starts turn the lever down and you are good to go for the day. Let us know if this works.