Hard To Shift

sr79

Seaman
2003 Mercury 115HP O/B has become increasingly hard to shift (never did shift smooth like my I/O) over the past 4 years that I've owned it. When I last changed the water pump the shifting mechanism seem to work very good. I've opened other shift lever boxes in the past and know they can easily be messed up. I'm wondering if someone with similar experience can point me in the right direction before I start looking for the problem. Thank you, Dennis

sr79

Seaman
2003 Mercury 115HP O/B has become increasingly hard to shift (never did shift smooth like my I/O) over the past 4 years that I've owned it. When I last changed the water pump the shifting mechanism seem to work very good. I've opened other shift lever boxes in the past and know they can easily be messed up. I'm wondering if someone with similar experience can point me in the right direction before I start looking for the problem. Thank you, Dennis

sr79

Seaman
One more thing, shifts into forward good but not reverse. It actually shifts very hard from reverse to neutral. Need some advice. Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Have you adjusted the Idle Speed? Too much Preload on the Throttle Cable, can certainly affect the Ease of Shift

sr79

Seaman
Have you adjusted the Idle Speed? Too much Preload on the Throttle Cable, can certainly affect the Ease of Shift
Engine idle speed is only 600 RPM, engine runs very smooth. Does the shift lever assemble ever need extra lubrications? Boat in moored in marina so I have plenty of time to idle engine down when trying to shift in and out of reverse.

sr79

Seaman
One more thing, shifts into forward good but not reverse. It actually shifts very hard from reverse to neutral. Need some advice. Thanks
Update: The problem fixed by lubricating the sliding block that is attached to shift cable, lubricated bell crank attached to sliding block and most important, lubricated the bushing supporting the vertical rod going down to the lower forward/reverse gears. I hope this helps other people with similar “stiff” shifting problems.