Hard to shift???

the unit II

Cadet
What is the best way to make shifter, both ways, to move smoother. Mine seems to be really tough.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hard to shift???

Keep the cables lubed well with minimun bends. Lube also the linkage points on the motor. To check if the cables are binding disconnect from the motor and try your shift lever. If it still binds you need a new cable.<br /><br />I had a problem with one of my motors this year and it turned out to be crud on the shift rod inside the lower unit.

Bondo

Staff member

With all the info you've supplied, My 1st guess is you need a New Lower Shift-Cable....

mattttt25

Commander

could just be an adjustment in your throttle assembly. if you're used to driving an older boat with the throttle "broken in", a new throttle will feel stiff and hard to shift. can't explain the procedure for your boat, but i helped a friend adjust his throttle "tightness" with loosening of a screw inside his throttle. good luck-

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a similiar question. When I got this boat, the throttle lever was very loose. In order to get good response, you had to push it up against the side, then move the lever. So I tightened the hex nut yesterday, and now when I move the lever, it's got pretty good response, but it doesn't like to shift. Once it's in forward, it won't come back into neutral easily. If I put it in the neutral position, it will eventually disengage. And the same with reverse.<br /><br />Am I answering my own question, by saying I tightened it too much? Or did I just uncover a different issue by tightening it up?

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, here's a slight update(though I am going to look into that adjustment as well).<br /><br />When looking at it again tonight, I was able to move the lever just fine. It didn't feel quite a stiff as it had while the engine was running. It was actually rather smooth, from neutral, to forward, to reverse.<br /><br />Also, all this comes after I reassembled the top end of the engine. I had to replace the head gasket(turns out I had 2 warped valves too). But I noticed that I apparently didn't put some little switch do-dad back on correctly. It screws onto the valve cover, and has a little lever w/wheel that goes into a groove on the mounting plate for the shift linkage. I hope that makes sense.<br />Anyways, it was on the wrong side of the mounting plate. Fixed that real quick, and I'm going to try it out again tomorrow.<br /><br />And the button you push to engage gears doesn't work at all on this lever. I can easily push the boat into gear without pushing in the button first. So is this a mechanical button normally? Or an electronic one? And is it fixable, without replacing the whole thing?