Hard to put in forward Gear

Gunny77

Cadet
I have a new 2003 Stingray 180LS with a Volvo/Penta 3.0 <br />This weekend I started having problems getting it in forward gear, sometimes it would go smooth, other times I would have to play with the throttle and move it forwards and backwards to get it to "catch". Reverse is fine, but forward seems like it requires the throttle to go too far forward to catch. <br />Are the linkage adjustments at the throttle or and the outdrive? On the trailer at the house the linkage seemed fine, but at the lake it wasnt cooperating.<br /><br />I know someone will say take it back to the dealer, but they are slow and I dont trust thier work. I wanted to see if it was a simple adjustment, I am mechanically inclined so hopefully I can handle it.<br /><br />Thanks<br /> G

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hard to put in forward Gear

gunny which volvo do you have I guess a serial no# would help if it is a joint venture drive style it is easy, if a tru volvo I am usless. does it have a plastic cover over the upper with 3 screws? if so sift adj is done here but it sounds as if the attaching point is loose. A.D.

Gunny77

Cadet

Outdrive # is 4202067327<br />Yes, it has three screws, and an access cover. Same place as the gear oil level plug.<br />Unit is an SX drive<br /><br />Hope this helps<br /><br /> G

Gunny77

Cadet

Think I might have solved the problem. Took the access cover off, put it in forward and looked at the linkage on the outdrive. There is a threaded rod with a nut and a cotter pin, well the cotter pin was hitting the outdrive case when sliding into forward, made a little gouge. I flattened out the cotter pin ears and now it doesnt catch. Hopefully that was the problem.<br /><br />Thanks<br /> G