Hard to pull start

9ine_Toes

Recruit
looking for any mechanics out there... 2001 Honda bf15 4stroke outboard. Kept up with maintenance, also replaced head gasket , however it is incredibly hard to pull with spark plugs in, with spark plugs out pulls with ease. Put a bit of ATF in cylinder sleeves (i thought the rings could've been seized.) it feels like to much compression, i haven't been able to fit a compression test kit in, i probably couldn't even turn it over with compression kit in spark plug holes. Any body have this problem before? I'm out of ideas but i don't want to quit on this machine.

Thanks guys

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
What happened just prior to the problem starting? Was it fine before you took it apart? Double check the compression release mechanism, make sure it's working properly. This may not apply to that specific motor, but on some motors if the valve clearance is too big, the compression release won't push the valve open and basically you don't get any compression release. So double check your valve clearances, valve timing and operation of the compression release.

9ine_Toes

Recruit
MattFL thanks for the response! Had a bit of problems with the head gasket installation. The camshaft pulley has a woodruff key, and it popped out and i lost it. i was able to run it for a few mins before this. i fixed the cam pulley and its been tight after that. The engine is a inference engine, so maybe it would've damaged the valves (or maybe damaged the valve clearance) not 100 percent sure. Ill look into the compression relief mechanism.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
You sure you got the cam timing right where it belongs?

If you damaged a valve then likely it would be EASIER to crank as you'd have compromise the compression (with a leaking valve).