hard steering on 4hp Evinrude

pcorbin

Recruit
My 1976 Evinrude 4 hp "Yachtwin" long shaft has very low hours and runs beautifully except that it gets very difficult to turn when running at medium throttle or higher on my Scanoe. The input force required is sufficient to cause the tiller to deflect a couple of inches or more and generally results in oversteer when the motor finally decides to move. Steering at low throttle settings is smooth and effortless. <br /><br />The motor has been like this since I purchased it used in 1978. Years ago, I took it to an authorized dealer who said the motor steered normally (!). :eek: How can I make this motor turn easier when at speed?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: hard steering on 4hp Evinrude

Pcorbin, welcome to the forum. Has the swivel bracket been greased? There are usually a couple of fittings on it. I'm going back some years to try to remember where you adjust the turning friction on a 4HP and can't remember. It's usually a screw on the front of the swivel bracket. You may be able to smooth it out some. Some of the other guys may have more recent experience with this model.

pcorbin

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response. I've greased every zirc fitting I could find on that motor with no effect. Do I need to disassemble and grease? If the problem is a too-tight adjustment screw, wouldn't it be hard to steer at all throttle settings? Seems like the higher throttle settings are causing things to bind somewhere.<br /><br />>pfc

Walker

Captain

Is it hard to steer both right and left or just in one direction?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

It shouldn't be necessary to disassemble and grease, particularly since it's easy to turn at low speeds. Is it harder to turn in one direction over the other? You may just be having to turn against the prop torque. I don't believe the small motors have a trim tab under the cavitation plate to help with this. I can't envision anything that would bind the steering just by increasing speed. Be patient and maybe one of the other guys will have a better answer.

pcorbin

Recruit

No, Jack. I know what torque steer feels like and, in my case, the steering effort is equally difficult in both directions. Again, it's like it is binding at the initiation of any effort to turn, then suddenly releases, causing oversteer. Seems to stick in whatever position it rests in, however short the time, when at high throttle settings.<br /><br />>pfc

alcan

Commander

Hi Pcorbin<br /> I feel something inside (a bushing) or what ever has been damaged. The main reason I feel disassembly is in order is because it is only thight at hi rpm. There may be actual metal damage (crack, bend, hole). Fortunatly this model is fairly easy to disassemble in this area. Lets hope is just one of the nylon/plastic bushings wraped up. Realy check for cracks.