hard starting merc outboard

mirageflats

Cadet
Am new to the board and hope that someone can help. I recently aquired a boat with a Merc 115 outboard (1975) inline 6 motor. It will not start when cold unless I squirt gas in the carbs. Then it runs fine, idles fine, no hesitation. After running the motor then turning it off, if it sits for more than 20 minutes or so, I have to squirt gas again before it will start. I have new fuel tank, new fuel line, new primer bulb, new fuel pump kit, cleaned carbs and new carb kits, and new fuel line inside motor. Compression is about 120 on each cyl. Spark is good. Im at a loss on what to try next. Any ideas?

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: hard starting merc outboard

It may be an obvious question, but have you tested your choke?

ZmOz

Captain

Inlines sure are hard to start unless you get it just right. Is your primer hardening up? You need to squeeze it until it gets hard, and then squeeze it some more. :) You should actually see gas dripping from the carbs - it was designed this way, there is a little plate below to catch the gas. Then bring your idle lever up all the way, choke it and turn it over. It should fire...if not something is wrong. It could be a low/bad battery. It takes alot more juice than you would think to start one of these things. I thought my battery was fine when mine wouldn't start, jumped it, and it fired right up. Also you might need a decarb - mine started easier after doing that.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ZmOz is right...there was a thread on FAQ about hard-to-start mercs, mostly us with the inline 6 (my engine is a 78, pretty much the same. I couldnt get mine to start, read thru the thread, and did everything they said. turned over first time.<br />basically-<br />-squeeze bulb until hard, then 2 or 3 more squeezes (basically until fuel is coming out the carbs<br />-idle lever to 1/2 thru full (play with this one)<br />-choke engine<br />-turn key<br />-if it dosnt catch, in 10secs, rest of a min, repeat above. <br /><br />havent had a problem after that...check in FAQ for thread

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go to search and type in hard to start...youll see a bunch of threads there with basically the same advice.