Hard Starting Four Winns

penske

Cadet
1998 Volvo Penta 4.3 gl Model # 432BPBYC Drive Unit #3868720 Transon #3868413 in a 1998 Four Winns RS 208 hours on the motor

This happens after long periods of non use. You pump the throttle many times to get it started. Has an electric fuel pump and I read all the threads and it appears to be working ok. I also learned from the posts that the pump will not run until engine starts.

After winter storage to clean out the fogging oils I prime the carb with a little gas and it starts ok to clear out the crap. I expect this to happen.

Over the summer months I just do a lot of pumping the throttle to finally get it going if it sits for several weeks. I watched the carb when someone else tried to start it and I never see fuel squirt in the barrels until it pops off. I know there is a thing called DRY BOWL which could be the answer.

New fuel filter every year.

When it starts it runs all day and will restart many times.

Read all Don's stuff and didn't see anything that could lead to this.

Thanks

Love Lake Norman in Mooresville NASCAR Country

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hard Starting Four Winns

1998 Volvo Penta 4.3 gl Model # 432BPBYC Drive Unit #3868720 Transon #3868413 in a 1998 Four Winns RS 208 hours on the motor

This happens after long periods of non use. You pump the throttle many times to get it started. Has an electric fuel pump and I read all the threads and it appears to be working ok. I also learned from the posts that the pump will not run until engine starts.

After winter storage to clean out the fogging oils I prime the carb with a little gas and it starts ok to clear out the crap. I expect this to happen.

Over the summer months I just do a lot of pumping the throttle to finally get it going if it sits for several weeks. I watched the carb when someone else tried to start it and I never see fuel squirt in the barrels until it pops off. I know there is a thing called DRY BOWL which could be the answer.

New fuel filter every year.

When it starts it runs all day and will restart many times.

Read all Don's stuff and didn't see anything that could lead to this.

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... You've found the Problem,.... Sounds like the carb is leakin' off....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The fuel pump should run when the engine is cranking or running, and it shouldn't take more a few seconds to fill the fuel bowl, or to have enough gas in the fuel bowl to get to the accelerator pump. Does the accelerator pump work after you have had it running?

penske

Cadet

Hi Don....not sure if you mean does it accelerate after starting or shoots gas in the barrels.....yes it runs fine and jumps out of the hole and doesn't stumble. Just have to pump the heck out of the throttle to get it to fire... What does pumping the throttle do anyway? Am I missing your point?

Your question was Does the accelerator pump work after you have had it running? how do I know this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is the choke working and orperly adjusted.

penske

Cadet

Thanks Don.....I'm in PA now but going back down to NC over Easter. Will check if accelerator pump is squirting gas after I run it and it's warmed up. I'll shut the engine off, and operate the throttle and see if gas squirts into the barrels.

Also thanks Silvertip......I checked the choke and it is shut when I cold start it and opens up after warm up...seems to be fine.

I'll try Don's suggestion and check if I can get it to squirt gas into the carb with engine off by pumping the throttle.

Don S

Will check if accelerator pump is squirting gas after I run it and it's warmed up.

It doesn't have to be warmed up, just run long enough so you know there is fuel in the carb. Then shut it off and operate the trottle and see if the gas squirts.

penske

Cadet

Thanks Don.......I never take your time and knowledge lightly.......the boating world needs you.

penske

Cadet

Update for Don........just had the starter replaced. Apparently the previous starter was not the correct one for this engine and it failed after several hard starts. It actually made a terrible noise and ground up the gears when I was down in NC over Easter. Marina put the proper one in and says starts every turn of the key now. As I understand it, if the starter is not properly matched, it won't send the proper signal to the fuel pump to activate it while turning over the engine. Is this condition caused by slow turning of the engine and not enough RPM to activate the system? I looked at your diagram on how a fuel pump works and read the explanation. Just wanting to know if an improper matched starter would cause hard starting??

Thanks for your time

Don S

As I understand it, if the starter is not properly matched, it won't send the proper signal to the fuel pump to activate it while turning over the engine.

That could be the case if it was a Mercruiser, but not with a Volvo. Your engine gets power from the slave relay when cranking, and the alternator when running. And there are diodes in the wiring. If the diode on the orange wire is open, the fuel pump will not run, then your carb won't fill up. But, when you prime it, the engine runs enough to start the alternator which in turn pumps some fuel in it and you get going. You will need to get a meter and check the diode.

This may help. http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...l-pump-relay-question-547983.html#post3761225

penske

Cadet

Don, you stated
If the diode on the orange wire is open, the fuel pump will not run, then your carb won't fill up.
I get that. So I can assume if it started many times at the Marina, this is not the problem and don't need to investigate it. Correct?

Don S

I get that. So I can assume if it started many times at the Marina, this is not the problem and don't need to investigate it. Correct?

Starter is not your problem. Did the marina let your boat set for a long time to see how difficult it was to start after setting? That was your original problem.

penske

Cadet

Yah...you probably hit the nail on the head. I will see what happens when I try to start it after sitting for 3 weeks til I get there again.

If it raises it's ugly head again, then I will meter the diode

Thanks

penske

Cadet

Hi Don......Just got back from NC. The boat sat for 3 weeks after the starter was replaced and I gave the throttle 3 pumps and it started. It also started many times this week with no problem. Apparently I have no other gremlins in the starting process at the moment. I know every engine has it quirks with starting and I'll use the 3 pump method from now on. I know we went around horn trying to find out what was wrong but I thank you as always for your help.

Thanks for your time