hard starting 1985 25 h.p. Evinrude

MarkCz

Cadet
I have a 1985 25 h.p. outboard (I just bought)that has the primer assembly where the choke usually is located. I just had the engine serviced and the repair guy started it for me with two pulls on the starter rope. He told me to pull and push the primer knob about three times and wait for some resistance to be felt, then leave it out until it starts up and then push it back in. When I went out in the boat the other day it took me about 25 pulls to get it started, it seemed like it was going to start on the second or third pull then would not kick over, eventually it started to kick and I was able to get it started. The only thing I am not sure of is where should the throttle be when I am doing a cold start.

cvx35

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hard starting 1985 25 h.p. Evinrude

In neutral there is a safety feature that will not allow you to throttle up too much...so throttle up as far as possible in neutral. I f your engine does not have the safety feature, don't blame me if it revs too high and throws a rod through the block. That's not likely to happen though.