Hard Starting 1978 Merc 115

JGKoenig

Seaman
I have been trying to help my friend with his 1978 Merc 115. The compression is 120 +/- 5% in all cylinders. Starting this thing after it has been sitting for a day or so is nearly impossible. It will only go if you use starting fluid (and only sometimes). Once it is started it runs great and will start with barely a turn of the key. This morning I took the plugs out and noticed that the bottom 2 were normal, the middle 2 were almost dry and the top 2 were wet. What does this mean? Also the middle carb seem to spit out some gas when it won't start. I was thinking a sticky float in the middle carb. Any ideas??

mirageflats

Cadet
Re: Hard Starting 1978 Merc 115

I recently aquired a 1975 115 and posted to this forum as well. If you search for "hard start" and similar phrases, you will find lots of threads to read. My motor had been nearly impossible to cold start as well. I did carb kits, fuel pump, and decarbed. That seemed to help. I also found that when old, I put the control lever in WOT to open butterflies on carb, then squeezed primer bulb 3 or 4 times after firm. Then return the control lever to neutral to start. That seemed to help as it let fuel roll into the crankcase. PS be carefull of using starting fuild as many dont have lubricant. I have used deep creep as starting fuild and that works well. gas/fuel mix can also be used.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure the choke butterfiles are FULLY closed when col starting.It is very important as old Mercs like to be choked heavily.

JGKoenig

Seaman

There is an automatic electric choke. No real butterflies. Not much I can do with it. I will try Deep Creep to see if that works.<br /><br />Thanks

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Are you sure it's "Automatic" ? The electric choke is controlled by a button or key controlled solonoid that activates a linkage attached to the carbs. Unless you have an enricher, you should be able to adjust or modify that linkage to ensure the butterflies are closing.

JGKoenig

Seaman

I think enricher is the correct word for it. There is no real "choke" on it. My friend took the boat out and was running it all day today. No issues!!. Once it starts the first time, it runs great.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

JG - a 1978 motor choke plate consists of two black plastic shutters which close over the top and middle carb to choke. Make sure you hold down the choke button while cranking and that these shutters move over the carb throats. Also make sure the cold start lever is all the way up.

JGKoenig

Seaman

Chris1956 Do the choke plates work in conjuction with the "enricher". I do not see any choke plates. Maybe they have been removed? When the choke button is depressed, the enricher clicks, but there are no plates moving.

emckelvy

Commander

Maybe you have a newer motor than you think. Don't believe a '78 originally came with an enrichener, but someone could have retrofitted it.<br /><br />You should see a knurled brass knob on the enrichener, the normal position of this knob is fully clockwise. If you rotate it CCW, it's in the 'manual prime' position and fuel flows thru the enrichener directly without it being electrically energized.<br /><br />It's possible that the enrichener could be plugged up. Pull the hose on the discharge (manifold) side of the unit, and manually open the valve. See if fuel flows thru the valve when you squeeze the fuel hose primer bulb. If not, you've got a problem there.<br /><br />If it does, shut the valve and try it again electrically. <br /><br />If it fails electrically, but fuel flows in the 'prime' position, you should be able to use the 'prime' position to try and start the motor. If that works, the valve may needs to be replaced. Or perhaps it's gummed up and cycling it a few times, or removing it and cleaning it out, will free it up.<br /><br />Don't forget that the enrichener will only work electrically as long as you have the key "on" and the choke button depressed.<br /><br />A friend of mine found a strange phenomenon on his 3-cyl 90 HP Merc; if he cranked then engine then depressed the choke, it wouldn't start. If he turned the key 'on' THEN choke THEN start, it fired right off every time. Go figure! Maybe once cranking, there's not enough voltage to pop open the primer. Never know, you might just try it and see what happens.<br /><br />G'luck and let us know............ed