Hard start on 351 HO

DixieBoys

Cadet
Read a similar report on hard starting after engine warms up. Here is my story. New holley 4 barrel, new exhaust manifolds. The offshore trip 3 weeks back went bad 30 miles from Charleston,SC. Backfire and severe loss of power. Made it back to the hill @ 7 knots. Pulled the plugs and one had the center electrode burned away. Did a compression ckeck and 0 psi on that cyclinder. Pulled the head and the intake and exhaust valves were nearly pushed through the head. Had mag check done and a crack was between the valves. Looked like hydro lock. Pulled the fuel seperator and salt water was in the filter. Had a hard time finding heads for this late model 351. Finally got GT 40 P series and had the bolt holes reammed for 351. Compression is better than it ever has been. This past Sunday it ran better than it ever has. But, when I got near the dock and throttled back, the engine dies and would not start. Had to pull the breather and hold the choke close to start. Did not see water in the seperator and gas was in the inline filter. Would water from the past experience mess up the accellerator pump or is there someting I am missing. Timing was checked and the dwell was 30. :eek: :confused:

DixieBoys

Cadet
Re: Hard start on 351 HO

No top notch mechanics here? I will work on it on my own like I have been doing.

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds to me, You've Still got a Water Problem....<br />Or at least a fuel Problem.... Holding the Choke closed is a dead give-away.....

DixieBoys

Cadet

Thanks, I guess I will work my way from the tank to the carb.

DixieBoys

Cadet

You were right. Still finding saltwater in the seperator. Gonna nip this in the bud.

Bondo

Staff member

I just saw another Tip in your 1st post.... <br />I don't do Holleys, But have been told, Only 1 Backfire,+ you've Blown the Power-Valve.....Maybe you should be looking here too....<br />The Damage you describe Sounds like Detonation.... A Lean condition(water instead of Gas) can Contribute to this, And/Or if your timing is to Hot.... Might want to double check it....<br />Hydro-Lock causes Bent Rods... Not Burnt Plugs,+ Sunken Valves....

DixieBoys

Cadet

I think you are right on. I pulled the plugs and one had the electrode burned away. Sure looks like pre detonation to me. Time to pull out the manual on this carb.