Hard shifting when warm? 89 omc with 4.3L

mikemartyo

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I am new to this forum and I checked out all the other posts about the shift interrupters. . . .
This is my question:

Have you ever noticed that the shifting works great when cold, but it is hard to get out of gear when it is warm?
Yesterday i was at my boat (just got it a few weeks ago) trying to determine why it will not shift out of gear from forward to reverse and back.

I was able to trip the microswitch on the shift interrupter and get the engine to stumble, no problem at that time.
after a while of running the engine and testing other stuff, we tried to trip the shift intterupter again - nothing.
we tested the continuity of both the interrupter switch and the overlimit switch and they both work fine.

Has anyone ever noticed that there may be a temp related problem with the OMC ESA unit?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Hard shifting when warm? 89 omc with 4.3L

Once you engine reaches max operating temperature the idle may increase a couple hundred rpm which may cause the hard shifting vs cold idle. I learned not to hold much stock in adjusting idle until engine had been run and full operating temp reached. Any thing over 550-600 is hard on shifting.