Hard Port Steering Pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

gn83tm

Cadet
Hoping someone here can help me. I recently purchased a 1996 Bryant 212 bowrider with a 7.4 Bravo One Mercruiser. Under hard acceleration (pulling skiers up, etc), the steering wants to pull hard to port and it's about all I can do to hold the wheel straight. Once on plane I can throttle back and adjust the trim a little to make it better, but it's always kind of there. Cruising along steadily and then powering up causes the same problem. The boat always steers port easier than it steers starboard.

The boat has the DHB steering actuator and I'm wondering if that's the problem. The cable guide tube seems to move freely for the short distance it needs to when the wheel is turned both directions. According to the PO, the cable and the pump were both replaced last year. I removed the cable from the actuator and it moves freely. The outdrive also moves freely without the steering hooked up. I re-aligned the cable guide tube a little so the flats are as vertical as I can get them with the cable nut tightened down.

I realize there's going to be some pull due to the single prop drive, but this is beyond that and feels like it could be dangerous. Any ideas? Thank you.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a left handed prop? Standard (RH) props usually pull to starboard.

A LH prop would be mated to a counter rotating outdrive.

Power Steering would normally counteract a lot of that torque. You could set your trim tab (anode) to counteract some of that torque as well.

gn83tm

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. It is a RH prop (rotates CW to provide forward thrust - viewed from behind the boat). So you think it's actually pulling opposite of what would be expected. No trim tab on the Bravo so I can't do anything with that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Skeg is not bent? No projections on one side of the outdrive to provide drag to one side?

Well, then it must be some kind of power steering problem. Maybe post this in the MerCruiser forum. Those guys are experts.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Where do you have the engine trim set at?

Too far off "neutral" and you'll get pulling one way or the other due to the physics of the prop.

Try not trimming down as much to see what that does for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.