Hard Cold Starts

marmon77

Cadet
I have been reading on your forum for months waiting to buy a boat. Well I finally did, it's a 1986 Hydra-Sport with a 150 Johnson <br />My question is this: On cold starts it takes awhile to get it to where it will stay on and idle, but after it's warm I have no problem with starting it or keeping it running. The guy I bought it from had told me of this problem ( I bought it from a friend of mines uncle) I had the boat out for a test run and it ran fine. Just wandering if it just needs a simple tuned i.e. plugs carb. adjust or could it be a timing problem? The guy used it probly once or twice a month, and now it's been sitting for 1.5 months. Thanks for any insight and/or advice.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hard Cold Starts

hello<br /> describe your exact starting procedure in detail. step by step. it may be something as simple as a loose nut behind the helm :) :) :) <br />tell us your exact procedure starting with turning on the battery switch.

marmon77

Cadet

I haven't gotten back with myou because the starter solenoid went out and I had to order another I should have it back in by tomorrow and then I can go through the sequence and let you know how it went

marmon77

Cadet

Ok got the new starter solenoid in AND the RIGHT PLUGS went through my start up sequence and she fired and ran on the second turn of the key! Previous owner had QL77JC4 it's suppose to have UL77V. Got it right got it running. Thanks for your interest.

D

DJ

Use this cold start procedure.<br /><br />1. Prime (squeeze) the fuel bulb until hard.<br /><br />2. Turn the key switch to "ON"- NOT START.<br /><br />3. Push the key in and hold for eight seconds.<br /><br />4. Turn key to start.<br /><br />You may have to "bump" the key in (in spurts) to keep the engine running.

marmon77

Cadet

DJ, I'll use that process the next time I run the boat. Also my initial thrad was about the spark plugs because it wouldn't stay running while cold. Would the plugs be the reason or is it timing? or could it just be "cold natured" because after it warms-up it' fine.

alcan

Commander

Hi M.A.<br />There are four recomended spark plugs for this motor. They are Ql77JC4 @.040 the alternate is L77JC4 @.040. <br />Then for sustained high speed you have QUL77V or UL77V. I belive your cold starting problem has more to do with procedure than anything elese, as DJ suggests. These big V6 motors require a lot of fuel to get them lit. To add to DJ's procedure, lift the warm-up throtle before turning key to start, (fast idle throtle).