Hard cold start

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have twin 93' 200hp. Port engine turns over and over when starting cold. I hold switch up waiting for fire but it just turns. Finally after many attempts the engine fires and then usually starts...carbs rebuilt just last month. I always pump ball tight and put engine in idle and with throtle in first position..any suggestions. Engine has so far always started but wearing on starter.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hard cold start

check that your choke is actually working or use the manual choke on the front of the lower cowl to see if that helps. just hearing the choke make noise wont do, physically check the butterflies are throwing close either by removing the airbox or watching the side of the carbs for choke pin movement.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Ben, I'll get in there today. Is the choke on the front of the motor a manual choke. Do the butterflies close by the motion of pulling it out? How does the litle switch under the key work? Is is electric?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

(1) yes (2) yes (3) The switch activates a solinoid which is supposed to close the butterflies. There is a line scribed on the plunger to assist in aligning the bracket so the plunger will close the butterflies all of the way.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had the same problem in the sense that when the electric choke is activated a " click" can be heard , on closer inspection,( with the cover off ) I found the solenoid to be clicking but the choke mechanism not activating, in my case the solenoid needs replacment, the choke operation is irratic even when I connect directly across the battery terminals,I used a multi meter to check the voltage across the solenoid feed wires and found the voltage to be good 12.8 volts,when I have fitted the new solenoid I will report back to the forum.Kind regards William Wright

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I cant remember which years but some of the V6 yams if the manual choke was pushed all the way in it would lock out the electric choke. it later changed but I cant remember what years. so also make sure the manual choke has not locked the auto choke in the off position.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I assume this discussion does not apply to the '93 225 where the choke is automatic. I was told the choke switch on the control does nothing, but was always a little curious - when my engine is cold, it seems to crank just a little longer than what seems "normal" (maybe 5-7 seconds or so - quite a few revs), but then again I don't know what normal is. When the engine is warm it starts instantaneously.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the responses...I did pull the choke located on the engine out and it fired much faster. I assume I will need to trouble shoot the solenoid as mentioned above.<br /><br />thanks again..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 225 has prime start. it has no "choke" as such. its a computer controled auto enrichment. it will take several seconds for all the sensors and the puter to get their act together and start. the choke switch on a Prime start model has no function. the biggest problem I have with prime start models is with the user advancing the throttle when starting them. throws the system all off and makes starting difficult.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 225 system seems to work fairly well. I never try to advance the throttle when starting, but I can see why people are tempted to - the engine starts at its normal idle speed, and if it's real cold can cough and die until it gets just a little warmer (like the second or third start). In a car, the automatic enrichment system usually runs the engine at a fast idle until everything has kicked in.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

The system for the 200 is not the same as the 225. It was the standard manual choke not the prime start system. It starting better with the manual choke indicates the plunger is not fully closing the choke butter flies and needs to be adjusted.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Ray. This post started heading down the road of assisting a 225 for a while there...had me worried. Quick question, how do I adjust the plunger> Does this mean the sylinoid is not working?<br />Gary

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Move the solinoid bracket until the line scribed on the plunger lines up with the edge of the solinoid. May be working but not closing all of the way. Very simple when you see it.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got it... thanks Ray. Hey by the way Ray, I have another post going about no RPM's. and engine not reving..Can you make some suggestions...also, I need some help checking compression. I'v eonly done it on an auto...