Harbor freight puller work on 3hp Yachtwin flywheel?

kbait

Commander
That’s what I use everyday. Get three 1/4x20 grade 8 bolts/washers, and you’ll be pulling some flywheels!

harringtondav

Commander
I'm big on HF tools for one-off, or DIY nonprofessional jobs. If your flywheel has two or three evenly spaced threaded pulling holes, this will work as well as anything you can rent. And at a lower cost, plus you get to keep the tool.

The kit's puller bolts may not match your flywheel's threads, but grade 8 bolts are cheap and available at a good hardware store. Lube the center jack screw, and hold the puller frame with a wrench while cranking. If the flywheel is stubborn, douse the shaft with panther pee 'Liquid Wrench' type penetrant. If that doesn't work heat it up with a propane soldering torch.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe you will ever need to use a torch on a 3 hp flywheel.----And all these motors from 1950 on with the universal magneto had 3 holes for the puller bolts.----Some motor even had a captured nut on the flywheel that pulled the flywheel with no special tools !

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm big on HF tools for one-off, or DIY nonprofessional jobs. If your flywheel has two or three evenly spaced threaded pulling holes, this will work as well as anything you can rent. And at a lower cost, plus you get to keep the tool.

The kit's puller bolts may not match your flywheel's threads, but grade 8 bolts are cheap and available at a good hardware store. Lube the center jack screw, and hold the puller frame with a wrench while cranking. If the flywheel is stubborn, douse the shaft with panther pee 'Liquid Wrench' type penetrant. If that doesn't work heat it up with a propane soldering torch.

Thanks, will do. I have a 20% off coupon as well so an even better deal!

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
That’s what I use everyday. Get three 1/4x20 grade 8 bolts/washers, and you’ll be pulling some flywheels!

Thank you, I’m glad this will work
Just clarifying, is 1/4x20 the correct size for my 3hp Yachtwin?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure whatever size bolts you get for your engine, they are grade 8, or forget it. I've broken lesser bolts doing the same task. But grade 8's worked perfect. Also, thread them in pretty far but not through the flywheel where that can hit whatever is under neath. JMHO

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just make sure whatever size bolts you get for your engine, they are grade 8, or forget it. I've broken lesser bolts doing the same task. But grade 8's worked perfect. Also, thread them in pretty far but not through the flywheel where that can hit whatever is under neath. JMHO

About how much would 3 grade 8 bolts run me? I have a lot of different kinds of washers already so I dont need those. Do I need nuts too?

lindy46

Captain
3 grade 8 bolts - no nuts. Bolts thread right into the flywheel. Can't be more than a couple bucks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a 3 hp I have used just any 1/4-NC bolts.----Even head bolts from a 6 HP will do.-------These things are not that hard to pull off !!

Willyclay

Captain
My H.F. yoke broke the first time I used it but that was on a 1968 Johnson 100HP V4 flywheel. Also, the pressure screw's threads buggered in that same attempt. Good luck and let us know what happens!

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
My H.F. yoke broke the first time I used it but that was on a 1968 Johnson 100HP V4 flywheel. Also, the pressure screw's threads buggered in that same attempt. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Fortunately. mine is only a 3hp. Hopefully, I can get it off easier.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought the HF puller. As others have said, keep the plate & jackscrew, pitch the useless bolts. That said, it was still a struggle because you have to strap the flywheel to keep it stationary.

I finally surrendered and bought the OMC puller kit, and in retrospect, I should have done it years ago. You can say "it's just a puller", but it just works so much easier. And the sidebar offers something to "pull against in opposition".

IMO: just buy the right tool. This isn't the only time you'll need to pull your flywheel, and having the right tool is worth it. Buy quality, and you only cry once. HF puller, you'll cry every time you reach for it.

My $.02; use or discard as you see fit.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought the HF puller. As others have said, keep the plate & jackscrew, pitch the useless bolts. That said, it was still a struggle because you have to strap the flywheel to keep it stationary.

I finally surrendered and bought the OMC puller kit, and in retrospect, I should have done it years ago. You can say "it's just a puller", but it just works so much easier. And the sidebar offers something to "pull against in opposition".

IMO: just buy the right tool. This isn't the only time you'll need to pull your flywheel, and having the right tool is worth it. Buy quality, and you only cry once. HF puller, you'll cry every time you reach for it.

My $.02; use or discard as you see fit.

My way of seeing it is I only have one outboard and I won’t have to pull the flywheel very much. It’s only a 3hp so should come off fairly easy. But if I get another boat project I would certainly consider an OEM OMC part