Happy Labor Day NZ!!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Happy Labor Day NZ!!

Thanks SoulWinner, I'm impressed that you knew about that. We had Monday off to celebrate "Labour Day" :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Cool! Happy Labour Day to all of our New Zealand friends. <br /> My Mom had such a wonderful time in your country recently. She was there for three weeks and got to see the East Coast and West Coast. People were friendly and the food was strange? Yep, those were her words. But she had a fabulous time. Thank you for taking such good care of her while she was with you.<br />Bassy

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Bassy, I'm glad your mom had a good time in NZ, but I wonder what it was that she ate ?<br /><br />It could be that she tried a "hangi" ? That's a traditional way of cooking invented by the Maori people who are natives of NZ. <br /><br />
<br />A Hangi is a special way of cooking food under the ground using red hot rocks and steam. <br />Volcanic rocks which are light and easy to heat get heated on a pile of burning wood. <br />When the rocks are hot they need to be carefully rolled or lifted into a pit in the ground and the wire baskets of food quickly put on top. <br />The baskets get covered with wet sheets and the wet sheets get covered with wet sacks. Then the sacks are covered with dirt. <br />The water in the wet cloths turns into steam when it gets heated by the heat in the rocks and because the steam can’t escape through the dirt it heats and cooks the food. <br />It takes about 7 hours to cook a hangi from start to finish but the food is delicious! <br />
http://www.suzy.co.nz/suzysworld/Factpage.asp?FactSheet=269