hanging deer a crime?

jvolpe28

Seaman
I wanted to share this with IBOATS ....I recently almost went to jail for defending sportsmans rights....I brought home my legally harvested deer, I hung it in the same tree as always to prepare it for the butcher, A young DEPUTY SHERIFF (peta type) on a power trip pulled in my driveway in front of my 7 year old daughter who was catching the bus, he tried to arrest me for hanging the deer, my kid (who i encourage to fish and shoot a bow) actually went to school thinking i was a criminal . I ended up writing to the sheriff himself , who told me the deputy was dead wrong . This story was covered by a couple local newspapers and OVO ohio valley outdoors journal (feb issue) (oh pa wv) I will try again to post a link to the story , check out page 5 of the post for the scanned articles. > http://66.216.66.212/forum/showthre...&threadid=30201

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hanging deer a crime?

Hmmmm.<br /><br />Sure glad I live in TEXAS!

ebbtide176

Commander

the link isn't working. sorry for your predicament. so what became of it all? i've never heard of rules on how legally harvested deer have to be dressed/cleaned/prepared. i've even hung them from a tree in order to skin them, in the backyard. i've had deputies give me permission to take deer i've hit with a vehicle on two occasions. but its been quite a few years ago.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

But I don't understand it at all. Whats wrong with hanging deer?<br />It keeps the meat clean (flies don't go over 12 feet above the ground) so it won't get blown. It keeps it cool if in the shade, and it lets it age for the best cooking/smoking meat!<br />Just make sure you have it high up in the tree.<br />Ross

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea once you buy that deer tag/permit and take a deer legally, it's your's to dress/butcher the way you want to.<br />It sounds as if this Deputy was on a power trip for sure.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did the deputy think you hung the deer to kill it? Either way, he has no common sense. He should not be a deputy. I'd hate to see him try to figure out how an accident occurred. How did he think you were supposed to clean a deer? Roll it in the mud.