Hang on North Easterneer's

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't know if that's a word or not, but you all up in the north east get ready, a storm is coming your way. Some snow and gale force winds.<br />Better run to the store. :D <br /><br />Serious, be safe out there. :)

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: Hang on North Easterneer's

They are saying 12-24 inches here in Ct with 15 as a high tempature tommorrow. I don't think it will beat the blizzard of 2/78 we had close to 30 inches here. I'll have to wait and see..........

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Up here in NY Upstate snowbelt country we get these things regularly and they are mostly considered a nuisance.We are however very well prepared with big plows and blowers, the likes of which are not often seen outside snowbelt country.Our highway department owns a snow plow/blower that plows and then blows the plowed snow through a 20 foot high chimny so the snow will not fall back from a steep hillside.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

that storm is here now. we are used to this sort of snow. some snivel and whine, some just deal with it. <br /><br />within a day or so we are back to what we consider normal. nothing at all like NC shutting down due to an inch of snow.

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, they are saying 16" - 20" for us in Mass. this weekend. Just another snow storm. We need it for the snowmobile trails up north! Its been a lousy snowmobile season so far, with very little snow, but very cold the last few days!(Especially because I work outside all day!) Today was -20 with the wind chill. Was not a nice day to be out.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "NOR' EASTER"!!! is coming to Cape Ann!!! :D 24"+ of snow now predicted for the coast from Cape Cod, Boston and Cape Ann!!! the rest of the state will get far less as you go west!!! A good ole fashion storm, with 50+ mph winds,waves 20-30'breaking along our rocky coast,vechicles driving along what we call "the back shore" watching them waves break and ocean spray falling like rain!!! As the tide rises to 2-3' above normal and rocks as big as one foot in diameter will be lifted onto the street from the waves the police will block the roads leading to the shore until the tide recedes!!! And believe it or not along our beach there will be a few surfers with their wet suits!!!<br /> "Bring It ON"!!!!!!!!!! ;) :cool:

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

It's 6 degress and snowing so hard you can't see across the street. Now they are saying 10-15 inches tonight and 4-7 inches tomorrow. The snow fall rate the weatherman said could be 3 inches a hour. I spent the afternoon making a harness for the dog so I could put a dune buggy flag on the poor dog's butt in case he can't find his way back to the house........I'll send the kid out for a attemped rescue..........

one more cast

Captain

That reminds me of when my BIL was up from GA and ask me why the road crew was puting all those 10' poles on the side of the road. When I told they were so the plow drivers could tell where the road was he about flipped out.

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I'm in ontario here, its about 1900 and the temp is hangin around -30 centegrade, which is something like....well, my conversion is a bit off, but i think 10 farenheit or something...can never figure this out...oh well, safe to say your mustache freezes in a minute or two. as for snow, we're lookin at about a foot and a half at this point. My snowblower is out of commission cause my dad left gas in the lines and they are frozen :rolleyes: and we only have a shovel that is more rust than steel since we got the blower. so its been one hell of a day and i'm off to have a hot shower and see if my back feels better. :eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

NEW YORK TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART<br />@ +70 degrees<br /> <br />Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.<br /> <br />People in NY go swimming in the Rivers.<br /> <br />@ +60 degrees<br /> <br />North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.<br /> <br />People in NY plant gardens.<br /> <br />@ +50 degrees<br /> <br />Californians shiver uncontrollably.<br /> <br />People in NY sunbathe.<br /> <br />@ +40 degrees<br /> <br />Italian & English cars won't start.<br /> <br />People in NY drive with the windows down.<br /> <br />@ +32 degrees<br /> <br />Distilled water freezes.<br /> <br />New York water gets thicker.<br /> <br />@ +20 degrees<br /> <br />Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.<br /> <br />People in NY throw on a flannel shirt.<br /> <br />@ +15 degrees<br /> <br />Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.<br /> <br />People in NY have the last cookout before it gets cold.<br /> <br />@ +10 degrees<br /> <br />People in Miami all die...<br /> <br />New Yorkers lick the flagpole.<br /> <br />@ -20 degrees<br /> <br />Californians fly away to Mexico.<br /> <br />People in NY get out their winter coats.<br /> <br />@ -40 degrees<br /> <br />Hollywood disintegrates.<br /> <br />The Girl Scouts in NY are selling cookies door to door.<br /> <br />@ -60 degrees<br /> <br />Polar bears begin to evacuate the Artic.<br /> <br />NY Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.<br /> <br />@ -80 degrees<br /> <br />Mt. St. Helens freezes.<br /> <br />People in NY rent some videos.<br /> <br />@ -100 degrees<br /> <br />Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.<br /> <br />New Yorkers get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.<br /> <br />@ -297 degrees<br /> <br />Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.<br /> <br />Cows in NY complain about farmers with cold hands.<br /> <br />@ -460 degrees<br /> <br />ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).<br /> <br />People in NY start saying, "Cold 'nuff for ya?"<br /> <br />@ -500 degrees<br /> <br />H*ll freezes over.<br /> <br />The JETS win the Super Bowl!

one more cast

Captain

SBN, One winter we had a chicken BBQ at -20 f over wood charcoal and the chicken would hardly cook. We finished it up on the wood stove in the shed. That was back in my beer days and we didn't care so the longer it took the better. Now at age 46 anything colder then +30 gets the grill pan.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I had that same problem!!! Even with the lid of the grill closed it wouldn't cook!!! The wife thought I was joshin when I brought it in the house to cook!!! ;) :cool:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Wow, glad we didn't get what the coast got. We did manage to get about 6" of powder. Better than that 16" to 24" wet heavy stuff from Christmas. It is sorta like leaf clean up. Let the wind blow into the neighbors yard!

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Ended up with 15 inches here in Northern Ct, and BIG snow drifts........

SpinnerBait_Nut

Heard Boston got 8" in and hour and 15 minutes.<br />BIL is there and called.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Update: BIL said had to move from 1st. floor of hotel to 4th floor.<br /><br />Wind was blowing snow in around the a/c/heat unit, was not letting it work and was about a foot deep in front of it.<br /><br />Said a curfew was out where no cars were to be out and a car went sliding by and hit a gas pump across the street from where he is at while we were talking.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

we got about 6" from the storm and another 6-8"<br />from lake effect snow off lake ontario. wind made <br />some good size drifts too...<br />snowblower re-coil was frozen, so brought it into<br />the kitchen and put it on the heater vent for a<br />few min. (wife loved that), but it worked a charm<br />and she started on first pull after.<br />took about 1 1/2hrs to blow/shovel everything.<br />snow is no big deal up here, but the single digit<br />temps would kill you southern boys fast! LOL<br /><br />it sure was pretty this morning at 5am though :) <br /><br />weather channel called for the cape to get up to<br />40 inches total... YIKES!

11 footer

Lieutenant

What a day!<br /><br />Its a mess here, at our house, about 15 mins outside of Boston, after all was said and done we had about two feet, the most snow we have got in a while. Took a few hours to snowblow and clear out own house.<br /><br />Around noon, when the snow finally started to let up my dad and I had to take a ride into town. There was NO ONE on the roads, we just had to share them with the snow plows.<br />We had no problems, getting around, but needed four wheel drive the whole way.<br /><br />The city was REALLY a mess, they got more snow then we got at home, and there is no where to put it all. Cars parked on the side of roads are buried, just big while lumps.<br /><br />We had to get down and snowblow fire lanes and whatnot in one of my dads six families in Somerville, because there is a building expectation planed for tomorrow.<br /><br />After that I had to help my grandfather and his wife her there cars out of the driveway and get the driveway clear, that took a good two hours, even with two snow blowers. In some places the drifts are over five feet high, being it is very light snow and the wind really kicked up this afternoon.<br /><br />They called off school for me tomorrow, and that also means that I don't have to get up at 4AM for a "before-school" varsity wind sprint hockey practice, so right now things are looking up! :) <br /><br />Maybe I'll post some picts of my street tomorrow, the snow piles are HUGE!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Ya'll are some tough cookies. That's what I say.