Handy tip for checking trailer lights single handed

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's no brick that will hold my brake pedal down to let me check trailer lights.<br /><br />Solution is to get club lock and brace end against front of seat runner and put fork over brake pedal, then depress brake pedal and lock club lock in that position. Won't move until unlocked.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Handy tip for checking trailer lights single handed

The blinker, 4-way hazard, and stop signals all come down the same wire. So all you have to do is turn on your lights and flip on the 4-ways. One look and you have checked them all.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use Roscoe's method.

Tinkerer

Not on the seven pin plugs we use in Australia. Separate wires for right turn, left turn, taillights, brakelights, reversing light, electric brake, and ground. Brake lights only on when brake pedal switch operated by depressing pedal.

bubbakat

Captain

I mash the brake and run like h#%% around back and look can't see in time but keeps you in a h$#$ of good shape :D :D :D

ebbtide176

Commander

dam bubba you're faster than i am ;) <br />i get the wife to do it, while i check the front signals...oops

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always used an ice scraper stuck between the front seat and the brake. On a couple of my trucks I would have to readjust where seat is. Of coarse if you live in Australia or somewhere warm, this probably won't help you :D PDS

blifsey

You have, of course, heard about the 2 blondes checks the trailer lights...<br />Blonde 1: Brake lights?<br />Blonde 2: They work.<br /><br />Blonde 1: Tail lights?<br />Blonde 2: They work.<br /><br />Blond 1: Left turn signal?<br />Blonde 2: It works, no it doesn't, yes it does, no it doesn't, ...<br /><br />Sorry, couldn't resist.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

HotByte,<br /><br />What does a blonde say when you ask her if her turn signal is on?<br /><br />It's on - It's off, It's on - It's off, It's on - It's off, It's on - It's off, It's on - It's off, It's on - It's off,.............

blifsey

There ya go...

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Hey PDS:<br /><br />How many of these people who live in warm climates have any idea what an ice scraper is? :confused:

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one easy way is to use your wifes full length mirror setup behind trailer where you can seen it in truck's rear view mirror...the move to other and do it over...just make sure you get her permission.... ;) :cool:

skiffer

Seaman

Do it at night in the garage with the door closed. Lights reflect off the door. <br /><br />Is this some kind of a test?

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

The garage thing at night work great!!!<br /><br />Suzuki40

Guido

Cadet

How big are your garages??? :confused: <br /><br />There is no way I could fit the boat and truck in the garage and get the door down.<br /><br />I use roscoe's method, or have the wife check them.

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

roscoe/jb:<br /><br />your method works normally, but i came across a situation where it would not:<br /><br />after trailering a U-haul car trailer for a friend, I unwittingly blew my brake light fuse in the engine compartment. The four ways and lights were fine, but no brake lights!<br /><br />Your test passed fine when i hooked my boat trailer up the next day, I had no brake lights and didnt notice right away!