Ham soup for dummies

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Good morning!<br /><br />We have some creative cooks on here so I thought I would ask...<br /><br />I have a bunch of left over ham (with bone) from this past weekend and would like to make some soup. Looking for some simple recipes. I'm not into soaking beans or anything like that. Help me out guys!<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brian

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Ham soup for dummies

Here's one guaranteed to help you clear a room of unwanted guests...<br /><br />Ham and Cabbage soup<br /><br />3 tablespoons butter<br />2 tablespoons finely chopped celery<br />1/4 cup finely chopped onion<br />1 tablespoon chopped parsley<br />1 tablespoon all-purpose flour<br />1 can chicken broth<br />1/2 pound cooked diced ham<br />1/2 teaspoon crumbled bay leaf<br />1 cup finely shredded cabbage<br />Sour cream<br />Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 2 litre - 2-quart pan over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and parsley and cook until limp. <br /><br />Stir in flour. Add broth and cook, stirring, until bubbly. <br /><br />Add ham, bay leaf, cabbage, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. <br /><br />Cook until ham is heated through and cabbage is limp. Spoon sour cream into individual portions. <br /><br /><br />Burn scented candles to help eliminate gasseous odors from dinner guests :p

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Mmmmmm I'm getting hungry...and it's only 10:30am!

one more cast

Captain

When I make soup I put in whetever I have. Lets see...I would boil the ham bone awhile with onions and garlic. add some red pepper flakes, black pepper and a couple bay leaves. add some diced potatoes, celery and carrots. or make a boiled dinner. boil ham, add a head of cabbage cut in quarters with the center(stem)removed,bay leaves,and red pepper flakes.add a bunch of whole small onions (or large quartered onions),carrots,celery and potatoed.or if you want easy bean soup just make it with canned beans.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

What goes over better around here is ham salad. Grind up the leftover ham and trimmings along with sweet pickle. Add a squirt of mustard and enough mayo to make proper salad consistency.<br /><br />Bone usually goes out in the trash.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> What goes over better around here is ham salad. Grind up the leftover ham and trimmings along with sweet pickle. Add a squirt of mustard and enough mayo to make proper salad consistency.<br /><br />Bone usually goes out in the trash.
Yea... here too.<br /><br />Or maybe ham and beans. never had hamsoup. Geez.... getting hungry here too.

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My mom always made great split pea soup when we had a ham bone leftover. Recently we had one and I got a hankerin for mom's soup... so I called her up for the recipe. She recited it from memory as I copied it down. Then she said... the recipe is on the package of split peas. Sure enuf - when I bought the package of dry split peas - the same recipe was there. MM good.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Our hunting camp recipe. Place ham bone in large pot, cover with beer, simmer and keep covered with beer until ham about falls off bone when you pick it up, remove bone, dump fat and bone, return ham to pot, add pound of split peas, one medium peeled and quartered onion, a pound bag of carrots and a bunch of quartered potatoes or whatever quantity fits the pot, simmer until potatoes & carrots are tender, the beer adds a flavor you won't believe. Goes great with corn bread and more beer of course.