Halloween Abroad

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
I was just curious if any other countries celebrate Halloween and how. I'm sure the world pretty much knows about how we do it. It's in plenty of movies. And of course The Simpsons.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Halloween Abroad

Yes & no. Because our TV screens are saturated with U.S. content the kids know about it and want to be involved even though it doesn't apply to us. The kids have a bit of fun and the adults might have a dress up party (any excuse) but we don't actually celebrate the meaning of halloween - for us its just another excuse for a BBQ party!<br /><br />I imagine its the same for most people, even in the U.S.<br /><br />Aldo

Link

Rear Admiral

Good question though. I just did a search here in DC and didnt see the question asked before.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

When I was in Thailand, they did some costumes and decorations at the bars, but kids didnt trick or treat in the poor area I was in.<br /><br />I think it is pretty much an American tradition.<br /><br />Dunaruna, not sure why Halloween wouldnt apply to you. It is a 100% marketing gimmic by the candy makers, yall should have plenty of those down under.<br /><br />And no one in the USA acutally celebrates the true meaning of Halloween either. Just an excuse to let the kids dress up, and the adults to get crazy.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> ...for us its just another excuse for a BBQ party!<br />
LOL :D <br />Eh Mate! Throw another shrimp on the Bar-B?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

UK<br /><br />We have a halloween party where we all dress up. Kids go round and do trickle treat, Old people complain of intimidation, we always have fireworks but its all low scale compared to the US. Stores like Asda (owned by Walmart) here have done alot to encourage it with cheap costumes and masks etc

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> Dunaruna, not sure why Halloween wouldnt apply to you. It is a 100% marketing gimmic by the candy makers, yall should have plenty of those down under.<br />
What I meant was that the tradition of halloween doesn't apply to us but yes, the gimmic is alive and well down under.<br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

We are in to parties, whenever the opportunity arises - or excuse.<br />Have had a Halloween or 2, and it was a great dress up.<br />Our good friend, Tex, (guess where he came from) has his birthday same time, so just for kicks, told every one about the H Party and to dress up, but just invited him over for dinner. (think about it !!!)<br />Can't catch him a 2nd time<br /> :D :D <br />Don't know what Haloween means, but it is fun.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> And no one in the USA acutally celebrates the true meaning of Halloween either. Just an excuse to let the kids dress up, and the adults to get crazy.<br /><br />Ken
Not quite true, Ken. It is one of the busiest nights for wiccan and satan worship. Although it is a "fun" holiday for many who are oblivious to the meaning behind it, it is serious for others.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

many spanish cultures celebrate "Dia De Los Muertos"<br />(day of the dead) around the world.<br />holloween was like new years eve to the many Celtic<br />peoples as their calender ended on 10/31 back then.