Halibut Too Big for Boat

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
From http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050226/D88FTG6G3.html :<br /><br />Norwegian Catches Halibut Too Big for Boat<br />Feb 25, 8:59 PM (ET)<br /><br /><br />OSLO, Norway (AP) - Unlike many fishermen, Harald Skoge didn't have to exaggerate the size of his latest catch. The 321-pound halibut was too big for his nearly 29-foot boat.<br /><br />Skoge, who fishes as a hobby, was trying his luck off western Norway with a simple hook and line on Wednesday when he thought something had gone wrong.<br /><br />"At first, I thought the hook had gotten stuck at the bottom," the retiree was quoted as saying in Friday's edition of his local newspaper, Sunnmoersposten.<br /><br />Slowly, he was able to roll in the line, and realized something very, very big was on the end. When the giant halibut broke the surface, he realized it was too big to haul into his boat.<br /><br />"I had to tow it to land," he told the newspaper.<br /><br />After three hours of towing the fish, he was able to deliver it to a local fish processing plant, which weighed and bought the catch.<br /><br />According to Skoge, the fish's head alone weighed 42 pounds, more than many anglers can claim for their whole catch.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Halibut Too Big for Boat

From the videos I've seen, it's common to tow your Halibut in Alaska. 300 plus # is a big one though.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

fun story.. wish they would've had a photo or two.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

that should make lotsa fish chowder!!! :D

Twidget

Commander

I wonder if the jaws music began playing before it broached the first time.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> Could have let it go...
Not necessarily. Many bottom fishes' air bladders expand too quickly and are permanently damaged when brought to the surface. Letting it go may have only resulted in a slow painful death. I'm not saying that's the case here but it is a regular occurrence.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Noodles,<br />Not with Halibut. We catch them and bring them up all the time and let them go. Sometimes they are too small, I reckon if it was too big, I might. It would be cool to catch one that big, but the meat is not as good. Most halibut fishermen, errr fisherpeople, carry a .410 shotgun for just such fish.<br /><br />AK Chappy

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Caught an 87 pounder in the cook inlet. The boat captain did shoot it with the .410. He said the trick was to shoot it without shooting the line. It was a great day. Love that Alaska.