Hailing JamesCoste (and anyone else with floors to clean)

eeboater

Commander
Hey James,<br /><br />I just want to let you in on a great "tool" I bought last weekend for my Pergo laminate. Ever since we installed it we've tried a bunch of things Swiffer Wet, regular mop, and even hands & knees scrubbing. But, we always had a PITA getting the drool marks from our dog off the floor.<br /><br />I'm not saying I live in a sespool, but I have a St. Bernard and when he takes a drink half of what he *TRIED* to drink usually drips out of his mouth on his way to the living room. Its impossible to keep after him so many times the little drips of water dry on the floor leaving water spots. Those lil bastids are hard to get out ---- even with a water softener!<br /><br />Anyway, long story short, Mrs. EEBOATER and I found a Hoover SpinBrush on sale for 130 bucks at Kohls (kind of like a JCPennys but not as big). <br /><br />
H3000.jpg
<br /><br />First, you can vaccum up all the dustbunnies that collect everywhere, then flip a switch and you can scrub the floor with these little spinning scrubby brushes. Then, you follow it all up by vaccuming up the excess liquid on the floor. This thing works awesome! And saved me mega-back pain.<br /><br />Anyway just giving ya a helpful reccomendation!<br /><br />Sean

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Hailing JamesCoste (and anyone else with floors to clean)

Okay, I've been looking at these and others like it for our laminate floor. The fine print says "good for glued laminate or hardwood floors'. I was afraid to buy one because I was worried about the liquid seeping into the "unglued" seams and causing the laminate to swell.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

LF, you would be wise to heed the warning. You really don't want any moisture on an unglued Pergo. The ones I've dealt with that got wet expanded and swelled terrible. They dried and went back to their normal look, but I am sure that's not good for them. Chief ;)

eeboater

Commander

Hey LF. I have "unglued" laminate in my Kitchen. I think that the snap-click joints of the Pergo is so tight that water can't get into them. Also, the way I see it, I need to clean it sometime, so if I use a machine to do it (which really, it isn't hard on the floor at all) its easier. Plus, it vaccums all the excess water up so it doesn't have a good opportunity to seep in.<br /><br />Maybe I just saved you some time to get out on the water a bit more ;) <br /><br /><br />Sean

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We had some sort of wet swifer vac a while ago that got recalled. It's to bad because the thing was really good - you'd put a wet swifer pad on the bottom and it had a vac to suck up and crumbs or dust.<br /><br />The new version should be out soon, and I'll buy one of those. <br /><br />That Spinbrush looks like it's pretty nice and a more heavy duty. When you would push on the Swifer thing to scrub something, the handle would bend..

Ralph 123

Captain

I have one of these (Floormate) that I use on my hardwood floors. I bought one as soon as they came out a couple of years ago. Basically, they suck up any moisture immediately if used properly. That is, they put water/cleaner down on the forward stroke and suck it up on the back stroke. That is the way they are to be used on wood floors (and laminates I imagine).<br /><br />That said, I put pergo down in my mother's whole house and she swears by the microfiber based floor mops made for laminate floor cleaning. She says it is quick and easy (Mom is 65). You dampen it a little and they come out clean and shinny. She doesn't have a St Bernard but she does have a sloppy cocker spaniel :) I bought her a floormate too and she doesn't even use it anymore.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks EEboater,<br />I'll show this to my wife and see what she thinks. So far she has been using a Swiffer and it has done a nice job. I, too, would be worred about leaving the water on the floor for long so it's a good thing that the tool sucks it up quickly. I agree that the way the pieces snap in, the joints are so tight that you can't slide the edge of a razor in them; however, I am concerned about water droplets seeping in. There is a reason that they recommend gluing down the flooring in "wet areas".<br /><br />If that device helps the floors shine up nice, I'm all for it!<br /><br />We are still absolutely LOVING our floor !